Sunday, May 31, 2020

Text Play: Pokemon Zeta #9

Hello everyone, and welcome back to the Vesryn Region! This is entry number nine in my Text Play of Pokémon Zeta!


As always, I want to warn you that I will be spoiling the game, so I recommend playing the game yourself beforehand. You can download it at the Pokémon Zeta/Omicron wiki here. And with that, let's rock!



Last time, we got the Android Badge, traveled to Kivu Town, and joined up with the Pokémon Rangers! They gave us an assignment to investigate some Team Olympus activity. Yeah, they're at it again.


They never seem to learn their lesson, do they? Well, before we go, I wanted to do a bit more grinding. As I said last time, my Pokémon were well within the recommended level range to undergo this mission, but I want to be sure they can take the journey. After all, once we start this mission, we can't go back to a Pokémon Center to heal them up. So, we'd better stock up on some supplies as well. As traditional for an RPG, I tried to talk to everyone in town, and one character got me thinking.



How long has Team Olympus been around? What have they done in the past? Who stopped them back in the day? Did Ash Ketchum kick their butts? Considering that I'm playing as a young boy and I have had little trouble with these guys, so I can imagine him doing it easily. Even when he's portrayed at his dumbest.

Despite the Team Olympus problem, there is something nice about Kivu Town: The beach! Yes, Kivu Town is a beachside town, and it's very nice. Bright yellow sand, clear blue waters. And a glowing thing in the distance.


What on Earth is that? When I get Surf (or likely a speedboat or some other item to make it obsolete), I'm so checking that out. The swimmers who hang out here really like talking about Clamperl.


I can somewhat see why. It's a cute little Pokémon. I can imagine they're the source of the Pearls that you can sell for extra money in the Pokémon games. Maybe you can catch them here? You'd likely have to dive underwater to find them. Like the games set in Hoenn (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald) that introduced them. I'll have to look into it in the future.

Further exploration has revealed an item hiding in the grasses above the beach area.


It's TM30 (Shadow Ball)! Appropriate I find it near a town with a Ghost-specializing Gym. It's a Ghost-type move, after all. I have a Gastly, so maybe I can teach it that move. It's gotten me thinking about what Pokémon to bring in against Graham. Ghost-type Pokémon are weak against Dark-types and itself. I have a Gastly and Rotom for Ghost-types, so not much option there. However, when it comes to Dark-type Pokémon...



Oh I got plenty of those. Yes, sir! I got Dark-type Pokémon! Absol, Murkrow, Stunky, Sandile, Scraggy, Zorua, Poochyena, and Pawniard. As for team adjustments, I think I'll keep my Butterfree on board. It's not a Dark-type, nor does it know any Dark-type moves, but she hits hard and she's fast. Not to mention she knows Sleep Powder. Also, she can learn Shadow Ball (a Ghost-type attack) I am thinking of also keeping my Luxio, as he knows Bite. Bite is a Dark-type attack. Absol knows that attack, too. I also want to add Sandile, as it can learn some Dark-type attacks.

But which Pokémon to replace? Well, the thing is, I don't think my regular team has any Pokémon that is outright weak to Ghost-types. My regular team is comprised of Magmar, Seadra, Weepinbell, Gabite, Luxio, and Butterfree. So, which ones to replace? Weepinbell knows Sleep Powder, but so does Butterfree. Maybe I can remove Weepinbell. And Gabite's moveset is mainly physical, which may not be very helpful against Ghost-types, so I'll have to switch her out.

I decided to switch out Weepinbell and Gabite, for Sandile and Absol. Although I am also thinking of including Murkrow, Poochyena, and Zorua. I decided to grind up my Sandile and Absol, but I also wanted to work with my Poocheyna and Murkrow, just in case. Grinding them up was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. Poochyena can learn Odor Sleuth, which allows Ghost-types to be smacked by Normal and Fighting-type moves. That'll be handy.

I ultimately decided to go with Absol, Poochyena, and Murkrow as my choices to tackle the Gym. Murkrow is rather easy to grind up on Route 310, because there are a couple of Grass-type Pokémon native to the route (Roselia and Maractus). Murkrow is part-Flying, and it can learn Wing Attack. Wing Attack is a Flying-type move, and it's great against Grass-type Pokémon. A word of warning, though. Rosalia on this route can have the attack Grasswhistle, which puts Pokémon to sleep. Also, there are wild Charmeleons on this route, and they know Dragon Rage. Yes, the attack only does 40 HP of damage, but considering that my main Pokémon are nearing or at level 30, that can HURT. So be careful of that, too.

The inside of the Gym is, naturally for a Ghost-type Gym, dark and creepy.


I can't help but feel that a Gym run an eleven-year-old boy who mainly trains Ghost-types would be a bit more...imaginative. Make it look like a haunted house. Have skeletons, spooky music, monster statues all over the place. That kind of thing.

If you have Flash, you can use it to light your way through. The trainers in here are invisible...well, more like translucent. They can be seen, you just have to look carefully. They also rotate around to try and catch any Trainers that pass by them. As such, you have to be careful where you step. I'd recommend fighting these trainers as they can help give your Pokémon a bit more XP before facing Graham himself.

But before we face Graham, there's one more piece of business to take care of. Kivu Town has another Ancient Tome. Where can it be found? Well, there's a house with a Smeargle in town.


The house is located below the Poké Mart, and it's got a red roof. You see that bookshelf in the top right in the screenshot? The right side of the bookshelf has the Tome hidden there. This makes it Tome number...I don't know. The game doesn't keep track of how many of these Tomes that have been collected so far. I don't understand why. The Tomes are put in the "Key Items" section of my bag, giving the idea they're important. So why doesn't the game count them? I mean, you likely will be able to get something important if you get them all. So why are they not counted? How will you know you got them all? It's just something that went through my brain when getting the Ancient Tome here. It's so weird.

Anyway, I have to admit, facing Graham...this is the first time I've ever actually gotten a little nervous about fighting a Gym leader. Ghost-types are a type I don't really use a whole lot, and they seem to be, well...the antithesis of how I play the game. I admittedly just power through using type advantages. It's not fancy, but it works for me. With Ghost-types, while they do have their weaknesses, I always get the feeling that they're going to give me a lot of trouble. It's a weird issue I have, even after playing so many Pokémon games over the years.

And I think we'll stop here for now. I want to get a team ready to face Graham and also get ready for my first mission in the Police Club. Wish me luck! Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it around! Take care of yourself, and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, and wash your hands often! See you next time!

Pokémon Obtained
Kivu Town
- Luvdisc
Route 310
- Mightyena (evolved from Poochyena) - 110th Pokémon! Whoo!
- Luxray (evolved from Luxio)

No comments:

Post a Comment