Thursday, September 17, 2026

Godzilla Minus Zero Trailer, My Thoughts

In 2023, the film Godzilla Minus One stomped its way into trailers. The 37th film in the Godzilla series (33rd by Toho), it was directed, written, and featured visual effects by Takashi Yamazaki. Set in post-WWII Japan, it told the tale of an ex-kamikaze pilot named Koichi Shikishima, who witnessed an attack by a certain big monster in 1945. The experience left him with survivor's guilt and PTSD, and guess what happens when that certain big monster decides to do a bit more stomping around. 

Released on November 3 in Japan as part of the celebration of Godzilla's 70th anniversary, it would reach theaters in the rest of the world on December 1st. In Japan, the film was met with mixed criticism. Internationally, the film was a critical and box office success, making $116 million on a $10 million budget. It was the most financially successful of all the Japanese films in the franchise, beating out the previous record holder: Shin Godzilla. Among the accolades this film would get included nomination for 12 awards at the 47th Japan Academy Film Prize (basically the Japanese equivalent of the Oscars) and won an Oscar for Best Visual Effects at the 96th Academy Awards. I saw this movie on Netflix, and it earned those accolades. 

Naturally, a sequel would be in the works. In November 2024, Toho announced that they had greenlit a sequel, again helmed by Yamazaki, who started writing it in 2025: Godzilla Minus Zero. This film will also be the first Japanese production filmed for IMAX. Let's look at the trailer!

"Wait, he's still alive?! Welp! Time to get friggin' drunk!"

Guys, you do realize that Godzilla is too profitable and iconic to die, right? As long as he makes money, he's immortal.

Oh yeah, create a giant monster to fight the giant monster. That totally will not go wrong! 

We're gonna fly on an airplane!

Dude, you're never going to get your money back from Godzilla. That's his money now. 

That cry...ohhhh, no. No no no no. NO NO NO NO.

Yeah. We got Ghidorah. One of the ony monsters that managed to wreck Godzilla. We are in TROUBLE.

Well, I'm excited for this movie! I loved Minus One, and I think this one will be a blast, too. I can't wait to watch it! I hope that we get some nice monster-brawling action now that it looks like Ghidorah will be involved! Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other! If you like what I write and want to give this blog some additional support, please make a donation to my Ko-fi! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment