Sunday, March 20, 2016

Pokemon Insurgence Part 1: We Gotta Get Out of This Place

Thanks to Linkara, I had learned of a fan game known as Pokémon Omicron. I downloaded it and it was a fun game to play. The creator of it is also working on a follow-up to Omicron and its twin game, Zeta. That game is called...Pokémon Insurgence.
 
 
First of all, I wish to apologize for the lack of sound in this video. I did record an audio commentary for this video, but I couldn't find it. I think it may have ended up lost somehow. A real shame, as I had a lot of fun recording it for this video. This is also the first YouTube video I have ever put up.
 
This fan-made game is set in the Torren region. This region is different from others in that its regular threat is not Pokémon-stealing teams like Team Rocket in the original games, but cults that worship legendary Pokémon. They are everywhere, making trouble.
 
The game also has an option of playing through it on a "Lighter" or "Darker" mode. The difference is really that some story elements, like character deaths, are toned down in the "Lighter" mode. I played that mode because I wanted Insurgence to feel a bit more like the "official" games. But kudos MUST be given to the creators for the option.
 
The game begins with a flashback to what looks like a press conference of some kind. It is of a man announcing that the Augur, the one who has protected Torren from the cults, has essentially decided to retire, and the man, Jaern of Gaea Town, is going to be the new Augur. How does that work? Was he like the Vice Augur, or was he a hand-picked successor? I guess we'll find out.
 
I have to admit, I loved that the creators went to the effort to allow you some customization of your player character, much like in X and Y. It helps you immerse yourself in this game, and make you feel like you are part of that world.
 
The game starts in a rather unusual way...instead of a Professor welcoming you to Torren, you start on some creepy purple screen with a spotlight on nothing and Gengar's eyes in the background. A mysterious voice tells you that you are in an awkward situation (game's words), and if you can remember your name, gender, and appearance. The voice said it is sending someone to get me out of...this place...and I need to WAKE UP!
 
I woke up in some underground compound being monitored by Darkrai cultists. I have listened to the music here, and it is appropriate for this place. It's creepy and haunting. Yeah, I am not in any "official" region anymore. Long story short, I'm being held in a place run by Persephone and her Darkrai cult, and she's afraid of me for some reason, A Gengar is there to screw with my head, and I managed to escape with the help of Mew.
 
I got to witness Persephone summon Darkrai. And it worked. She had seen it before last year, and they did something together. Then the Pokémon went off to find her sister. Persephone was unhappy with this. Somebody is jealous...
 
She wants to do the whole take over the world thing with Darkrai, but Darkrai's like, "Nah, got better things to do", and leaves before she can catch it. With that failed, she decides to check on me. Time to leave!
 
I arrive in the Shade Forest, and then come to Telnor Town. Upon arrival, Mew gives me a flute and a note. The flute is a Quartz Flute, which can be used to summon Mew. That's nice.
 
A boy named Damian meets me upon arrival and asks me to help him run some errands. The Augur is coming to town, and everyone's in a tizzy! After meeting Damian's parents, they ask me to go with him to help him find a gift for the Augur. Sure, why not? It's not like there's a Darkrai Cult after me. Which makes me wonder, shouldn't Persephone have sent her Darkrai-worshipping minions after me yet? She must've gotten lost on the way to my old chamber, and nobody's willing to help her find it.
 
Anyway, I'm off to meet the Professor and get my Eevee! Wish me luck! Sorry about the lack of audio again!

No comments:

Post a Comment