Thursday, March 3, 2016

Ghostbusters Trailer, My Thoughts

It's been known that a reboot film of the Ghostbusters franchise has been in the works. I gave my thoughts on the announcement of that already, so when I found out the trailer had dropped, I decided to give it a watch.


One of the first things I noticed was that the trailer said that four scientists saved New York thirty years ago. That made me scratch my head. Was this a sequel after all? Why would the trailer allude to the original four if this was a reboot? My confusion was furthered by the Wikipedia entry for the film, but since the cameo roles were unsourced, I decided to take it with a grain of salt.

The second thing I noticed was that we see three of the new Ghostbusters encountering a ghost in what looked like someone's private library. In case you didn't know, in the original film, the first real spectre the original Ghostbusters encountered was a female ghost in a public library. And it vomited on one of them. Okay.

Seeing Leslie Jones's scenes as Patty Tolan did concern me a bit. One thing I worried about with this film was that the new characters would not be unique characters in their own right, just simply the original four only female. To me, Tolan just seemed to be a female Winston Zeddemore. It made me sigh a bit. Come on, scriptwriters! You can do better than that! I get the concept of the archetype, but come on!

I did like seeing Slimer again. It was nice seeing him. And as for the new Ghostbusters' suits, I do like them. I know some people like to mock the orange and silver stripes, but they're meant to be reflective safety strips, like those worn by firefighters on their jacket, I think that's a nice touch. It's a clever idea. And the remix of the Ghostbusters theme was really good, I want that on my iPod.

I have to admit, the tech and effects were AWESOME. Seeing all the various ghosts flying around, and the one with the really long legs, that was so cool! And their proton packs?! I LOVE their proton guns! Melissa McCarthy's character appeared to have a glove that allowed her TO GIVE GHOSTS PHOTON-POWERED PUNCHES. THAT ROCKED! I get the feeling I will LOVE the final battle!

And I will admit, the bit at the end with Patty Tolan smacking the ghost out of Melissa McCarthy was funny. I laughed at that.

Do I honestly think it will be better than the original. Well, no, but really not by any fault of its own. The original film is considered a comedic classic and a must-watch film. Heck, it was added to the National Film Registry, because it is considered "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". That's right. This film was considered of preservation by the National Film Registry. How on Earth could anything follow THAT?! Even the original sequel (which I quite enjoy), was considered terrible in comparison.

I think at the very least, this will be a fun "turn-off-your-brain-and-enjoy" flick. I'll give it a look. To all those people who scream that this ruined their childhoods, or this was an unnecessary thing, I say this: Just calm down. The original films and cartoons still exist.

If you want new adventures with the old team, IDW is doing COMICS with the original four Ghostbusters. In fact, they recently met the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in a rather fun crossover, pick up the trade if you see it. And nobody is going to be FORCING you to watch this movie. If it really bothers you that much, just don't talk about it and don't go see it. Plain and simple. This film is not going to ruin your life, and your childhood is far from ruined.

No comments:

Post a Comment