Thursday, July 28, 2016

SDCC Luke Cage Teaser, My Thoughts.

Iron Fist was not the only MCU Netflix series that was going to make its upcoming debut. I had talked about the Iron Fist teaser here. Now, what do people often think of when they think of Iron Fist? Well, with Iron Fist, people often think of martial arts action, and a chi-charged fist powerful enough to bring down a building. Another big thing about Iron Fist's character is his odd friendship with a certain African-American powerhouse superhero.

I am talking about Mr. Luke Cage, and like his high-kicking best bud, he's getting a Netflix series of his own as well.


One thing I absolutely loved about this trailer was that it subtly used the color yellow, a nod to his classic yellow shirt costume he used from the 70s to the early 90s. I thought that was very clever.

The trailer starts with Luke talking with an older man, whom we can probably assume is his father. His father mentions the Avengers as "those guys downtown", saying that he should be helping people like they did. Luke mentions "Reva" used to say the same thing to him. For those not in the know, "Reva" is Reva Connors, a woman who played a significant role in Luke Cage's going to prison and his getting superpowers in the first place.

The trailer then kicks up accompanied by some music. I'm no hip-hop head, so I had to look up the tune, but I had to admit, I loved the piano riff. By the way, the song is "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" by the late Ol' Dirty Bastard, formerly of the group Wu-Tang Clan.

Accompanied by the piano riff, Luke casually pulls up the hood of his hoodie, rips off the door of a dude's car, because he's Luke Cage, and just as casually, smashes his way into a building. Yes.

A bunch of dudes with guns and machetes come at him, but he just goes through them like a hot knife through butter. I love this sequence. My favorite part is Luke giving the "bring it" gesture. He knows they can't hurt him. I also liked the bit where he bends the car door around one dude and tosses him down some stairs into another bunch of dudes.

The trailer ends with him briefly taking to who I think is the villain Cottonmouth, who will be portrayed by Mahershala Ali. I can't wait to see him and Luke face off. In the comics, this Cottomouth had superhuman strength like Cage did, and was very knowledgeable about poisons. I hope we get to see those here.

This teaser was so much fun to watch. I can't wait for this show!

No comments:

Post a Comment