Thursday, April 6, 2017

Super Bomberman R Trailer, My Thoughts

There are a ton of games coming for the Switch, and so many of them look really good. One of them is the newest entry in one of gaming's longest-running franchises: Bomberman! Yup, the series is celebrating its 33rd anniversary, and Konami is bringing it roaring back to life with Super Bomberman R!


Now, I have to admit, my experience with the Bomberman series is rather...limited. I only played (and own) two games in the entire series, Generations and Jetters for Gamecube. I rented them in my local video store, and I remember enjoying them. I do own the games, I believe I bought them when the store was selling them off to make room for the Wii games. I haven't played either of them in a while. Anyway, let's talk about this one.

The footage looks amazing, showing classic Bomberman gameplay, and the graphics look incredible. The trailer ends up promising a story mode that can be played cooperatively with a friend. That's pretty neat. I wonder if the second player can drop in and out anytime they want. That would be a nice handy feature.

The game also shows one of the bosses, a metal crab thing with a cannon for a claw. That's pretty cool. I like that boss.

I do like that the classic 8-player Battle Mode is in the game. I'm sure that's something that will make a lot of retrogamers smile.

The teaser gets a narration about the rising of the eight Bomberman brothers. I think it means the player characters, and I wonder will each "brother" have different abilities? Would be a good way to increase playability, and welcome different play styles in Battle Mode. It also gives us another glimpse of I think will be another boss monster: A turtle/castle thing with drills for feet. I dig it.

The trailer ends with a cute little bit of animation. The classic Bomberman attempts to rally his "brothers", but they'd rather just hang out and do random things, like play with toy cars, nap on the couch, and in Red's case, kick a dummy. Although, I can't help but notice something. Two of the Bombermen I think are intended to be female: the blue one with the bow and skirt and the pink one with the heart. If that's the case, shouldn't it be "Bomberman Brothers and Sisters"? I'm guessing just saying "Bomberman Brothers" is punchier.

This looks like a neat game! I'll add this to my list of potential titles for the Switch!

No comments:

Post a Comment