Monday, August 12, 2019

Movie Review: Hobbs and Shaw (2019)

Since 2001, the Fast and the Furious franchise has thrilled audiences and made Universal Pictures a butt-load of money. The film is the first spin-off of the long-running franchise. So, did it race to an epic finish, or did it crash and burn? Let's find out!


In the film, Luke Hobbs (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) and Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham) must join forces to stop a cybernetically-enhanced self-proclaimed "Black Superman" named Brixton (Idris Elba) from releasing an artificial virus that could decimate the population of the world. Making things difficult is the two's hatred for each other and the involvement of Deckard's sister, MI6 agent Hattie Shaw (Vanessa Kirby), who is targeted by Brixton.

The film's big flaw in my opinion is that the film can be a bit...one-note at times. Brixton is a rather standard villain, nothing really unique about him. He was entertaining, though. I'll give him that. But the film did have its fair share of positives. I liked the delving into Deckard Shaw and Luke Hobbs's pasts. I also really enjoyed the banter between Shaw and Hobbs. I really want a sequel for these two, as they have great chemistry. The action was incredible and exciting. And the final battle was pretty cool.

Family is a bit of a theme of the franchise, and it continues on in this film, with the Shaw siblings teaming up, and Hobbs reuniting with his estranged family. I like that they continued that theme with this. I also enjoyed Hattie Shaw in action. Vanessa Kirby was really enjoyable. I want to see more of her.

The film is a bit cliché, but it's still a ton of fun. It's not overly serious, it's just the type of film when you want to turn off your brain for a couple of hours. It's surprisingly packed, and it has some crazy stuff that may not fit in a "mainline" Fast and the Furious movie. There were a couple great surprise cameos in them,   I'm not going to spoil them. I do recommend this film if you want some enjoyable action.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! And I'll see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment