Thursday, August 1, 2019

Super Smash Bros. Bear and Breegull Trailer, My Thoughts

Back at E3, Nintendo did one of their Directs. In them, they revealed some new games coming, more info on previously announced games, and two new DLC fighters for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Back in July, I looked at the first of those characters revealed: The Luminary from Dragon Quest XI. However, there was another pair, or should I say, duo of characters coming to do some Smashing.

These two, I admit, are close to my heart. Their two games on the N64 back in the day were among my favorites on the console. I also enjoyed their third game, despite it being radically different. Smash fans have been wanting these two in he series for a very long time, but they're being characters from Rare (which is now owned by Microsoft), made that a seeming impossibility. Until now. Yup, a certain bear and bird are making their long-awaited and long-desired Smash Bros. debut! Let's take a look!


Ah, the great rivalries of gaming.

Ha ha ha! Looks like K. Rool couldn't keep up the rent on his home, so he had to move in with Donkey and Diddy Kong.

Stop hogging the window, K. Rool! You're a guest!

Yeah, you're going to have to pay for that.

No way! It can't be!

Duck Hunt Dog and Bird are a pair of little trolls. And if you don't get it, it's an homage to the trailer that revealed K. Rool would join the Smash roster.

It is so awesome to see Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. For those who are unfamiliar with them, Banjo is the brown bear, and Kazooie is the red bird (called a breegull). They first appeared in their self-titled game in 1998. Their games often focused on their battles against the witch Gruntilda.

Not surprising the Kongs and K. Rool are thrilled. Rare also made the Donkey Kong Country games back in the day. Nice little bit of meta there.

Go, Kazooie, go!

I love that the combat shows Banjo and Kazooie working together. It's how their games worked. And I can't help but feel a bit bad for Kazooie when she's used as a club. Bird of Iron, indeed.

I also like that we see Kazooie using her standard and Grenade Eggs. And it fits that the Grenade Eggs can be grabbed and used as weapons. Makes their usage risky. I like it.

I'm assuming the Jump Pad is their Up + B jump move.

And it makes sense they'd use the golden feathers for an attack. I used to use a cheat code to get an infinite amount of them. Made things easier for me.

Heh heh, Banjo's a bear. Of course he'd go after the beehive. Gotta get that honey!

It makes sense that Spiral Mountain would be the Smash fighting stage. It's the hub world of the original game.

Oh hey, Grunty! Banjo and Kazooie are going to beat you down again.

I'm guessing that's the Final Smash. JINJO ATTAAAAAAACK!

Ouch. Yeah, that's a nod to how Gruntilda was defeated in the first Banjo-Kazooie game. She got crushed by a boulder.

I am so excited! I loved the Banjo-Kazooie games back in the day, and I can't wait to do some Smashing with these two! I'm so happy Microsoft and Nintendo were able to come together to make this happen! As I have said in the past, the Smash Bros. series has become more than just a Nintendo fighting game, it's become a tribute to video games as a medium. It's truly incredible to see what its become.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! And I will find a new way to provide additional support for this blog! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment