Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Arcade Archives: Tecmo Bowl Launch Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1987, Tecmo released a game to arcades called Tecmo Bowl. The game used a dual-screen cabinet which allowed up to four players to compete in games between two fictional American football teams. In 1989, the game was ported to the Nintendo Entertainment System. It would be notable as the very first time that an American football game featured actual NFL players.

I first learned of it thanks to Pat the NES Punk's review of the game, as I was a bit too young for the NES's big heyday. Heck, the only football game I ever played was a Madden game for the SNES.

The NES version of Tecmo Bowl would be a hit, spawning a small game franchise. The game would eventually get ported to the Game Boy and even mobile devices. And now, it's coming to the Nintendo Switch! Yes, thanks to Hamster Corporation, the original version of Tecmo Bowl has arrived as part of the Arcade Archives series! Let's take a look at the launch trailer!



I kind of like the graphics.

Okay, I get why the players are wearing red and blue. But why is one in purple? I'm no expert in American-style football, but I think that's a bit off.

This trailer isn't much, it's just gameplay footage.

What's a First Down?

Run! Run, purple guy, run!

Seriously, why is that guy in purple?

The noise of the football players colliding is kind of funny.

TOUCHDOWN!



And it looks like the Wildcats get to score first! Yeah, in the original arcade version, the teams you play as are the Wildcats and the Bulldogs. It was the NES version that had real NFL players and teams.

Oh, I get it! The purple guy is the one you play as! It's an indicator. Boy, do I feel stupid, ha ha. And it looks like we got a field goal attempt going! Yeah, I know that from that old Madden game.

AND IT'S GOOD!

Well, I have to admit that I am curious about this game. The thing is, I've never really been one for sports games. But if you like American football, I think you'll enjoy this game. Heck, this may have gotten you into the sport in the first place! Maybe I will give it the old college try.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment