Thursday, February 20, 2020

Nintendo Switch Online February 2020 Update, My Thoughts

If you're a fan of the Nintendo Switch like I am, then you ay be aware of its Nintendo Switch Online service. The big feature is that it has an expanding library of games. A couple more games have been added to the service this month. Let's take a look!



Originally from the SNES:

Pop'n TwinBee

Developed by Konami. Released in Japan and Europe in 1993 by Konami, this is the first time the game is coming to the United States. It's the sixth game in the TwinBee series. It tells the tale of TwinBee and WinBee's quest to prevent a mad scientist named Dr. Mardock from conquering the world with an army of Acorn Men. Don't ask, it's Japan.

I think I remember seeing an article about this game in an English gaming magazine many years ago. It looks like a cute little game. I admit that I am a bit of a fan of space shooters, so I may give this a try.

Smash Tennis

Released in Japan by Namco in 1993 and by Virgin Interactive in Europe in 1994. Like Pop'n TwinBee, this is the first time it was officially released in the United States. I've never heard of this game before now. I like that the Nintendo Switch Online service is showcasing hidden gems like this.

It looks interesting, despite my tendency to not really be into sports games. I think it's worth a try.

And originally from the NES:

Shadow of the Ninja

Developed by Natsume. Released by Natsume in Japan and North America in 1990. Taito released it in Europe in 1991. The year is 2029. The evil Emperor Garuda has conquered the United States of America. The only ones that can stop him are a pair of Iga clan ninjas: Lord Hayate and Lady Kaede. Together, the two ninjas must storm Garuda's stronghold to give Garuda a proper thrashing.

This game comes off to me as an attempt to cash in on the success of Ninja Gaiden. I have heard this was a good game, so I think it's worth a shot. It also makes me think of firing up The Messenger on my Switch...

...Oh my God, that guy's legs are still going!

Eliminator Boat Duel

Developed by Sculptured Software and Radioactive Software. Released by Electro Brain in North America in 1991, Europe in 1993. You basically earn money racing the fastest powerboats to ever hit the seven seas. You use your winnings to soup up your powerboat, making it faster, tougher, and more maneuverable. It's just a powerboat racing game. If you enjoyed this game, you may be happy to play it here.

It's pretty neat that the Switch Online service is bridging the gaps between international releases of games here. I hope that Pop'n TwinBee gets a good fanbase in America thanks to this service as the game looks so cute and fun. I'll have to consider subscribing one day...

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment