Friday, December 18, 2015

Final Smash DLC Thoughts.

Recently, Nintendo did a special broadcast on their social media about what is to be the last DLC for the latest Super Smash Bros. game. A couple of new fighters, and the winner of the Smash Ballot was revealed! No, it was not Cloud. Did download Cloud for the 3DS version, and he is a blast to play as.



The reveal of Corrin from the newest Fire Emblem game: Fire Emblem: Fates, just made me shrug. I never had any issue with the Fire Emblem series, to be honest. I did play Fire Emblem for the GBA. It was a good game, but it wasn't for me. Tactical RPGs aren't really my thing. I have heard some outcry about his inclusion, as it was felt his inclusion was purely for promotion. It also increases the number of Fire Emblem characters to six. It wasn't a problem for me, really. After all, the Mario series has quite a lot of representation in the game (Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Baby Bowser. Technically, twelve if you count all seven of the Koopalings).

The creators did want to include him, and I'm sure the game's makers consider Corrin being in Smash a great promotion. After all, Shulk was included to promote Xenoblade Chronicles.

However, I did find his dragon-based attacks pretty cool. I imagine he'll be fun to play as at the very least.

I liked the explanation of Cloud's moves. It's really cool to see that he gets Limit Breaks for all his moves. It really goes to show the work these people put in to make the character feel like they stepped right out of their games. This is the most wonderful form of video game fanservice. It really shows the team's passion for gaming and gaming history. The Smash series has really become a tribute to gaming, and it's so awesome seeing Cloud. It's fun playing as him, too. I've never played Final Fantasy VII, but I would love to now.

The Midgar stage is really cool. It's really neat that you can summon monsters from the various games, and they have some really cool effects on the stage...if you can get the Materia! I imagine Midgar will be a favorite stage to smash on, for sheer unpredictability alone.

I never really was into Mii costumes, but this game has some cool ones, paying homage to Splatoon, and even Tekken and Virtua Fighter. They have announced a Geno costume for Mii Gunners, as well as Tails and Knuckles costumes. I'm sure Mii costume collectors will love them. And in a way, Geno does get into Smash after all.

Bayonetta coming to Smash was a surprise to say the least. Her reveal trailer was really cool. I have to admit, I was a bit saddened to see that Solid Snake wasn't coming back, nor would Simon Belmont join, but Nintendo and Konami probably couldn't come to a deal. And in the case of Snake, Konami and Kojima being on the outs didn't help much. Ah, well. Can't be helped. Still, Bayonetta is a good choice. I haven't played either of her games, but I have heard they were good. She's a combo fighter, so I can imagine match-ups with Ryu will be quite interesting.

Her Witch Time attack looks awesome. I like that there is something to prevent it from being spammed. And I LOVE her Final Smash. The big demon Gomorrah just comes in and chows down on every other opponent Bayonetta is facing! That is cool, man! Just awesome!

These characters will also get amiibo. That's also neat, and makes sense. Every other Smash fighter has gotten amiibo, only fair Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta get them.

Do I think this will be truly the last DLC? Maybe. You never know. But if this truly is the last DLC, then it ended with a big bang! Thank you, Mr. Sakurai. Your hard work is truly appreciated by millions of gamers everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment