Friday, December 25, 2015

Star Trek Beyond Trailer: My Thoughts.

I am a Star Trek fan. Been one my whole life. Growing up, I would watch TNG and DS9 with my dad, and I also grew up watching the original movies. When the franchise was going to be given a new film, with new actors playing the crew of the original Enterprise, I was excited, and the eleventh film lived up to my expectations. My dad loved it so much, that ever since we would go into theaters and watch a movie, if he liked it, he still would say it was not as good as Star Trek.

Into Darkness would then hit, and I admit, I enjoyed it. Thought it was an odd choice to have Benedict Cumberbatch play Khan, but I still thought it was a good film.

And now, a third film is coming: Star Trek Beyond. And the trailer is here.



I really don't get why people complained about the use of Beastie Boys's "Sabotage" in the trailer. Do people not remember the scene in the eleventh Trek film where a young Kirk was driving around wildly in the old car? That was the exact song that was playing! It was a callback! I thought it was really cool! And the Starfleet jackets we see Spock and Chekov wear in the beginning? They look snazzy.

And the bit with Spock and McCoy and the transporter was hilarious. I laughed at that.

I have to admit, seeing the Enterprise crew being marooned on a strange new planet is an interesting idea. The closest I am aware of something like that happening was Chakotay and Janeway being stuck on a planet on an episode of Star Trek: Voyager. And that was because they were being quarantined.

The new villain looks neat. He reminds me of a Gorn, almost. But I don't think the villain is a Gorn, though. Similar, but not really a Gorn. Maybe a species related to the Gorn. Now I want to watch that fight between Kirk and the Gorn from the old series.

This looks like it'll be at the very least a fun action flick. Not much else to say about this. I liked the last two new Trek films, so hopefully, it'll be a hat trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment