Thursday, December 3, 2015

Batman v Superman Trailer, My Thoughts

Marvel Comics is not the only comic book company that has a big film coming out. DC Comics is also putting out something huge: Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. The film essentially promises the first-ever meeting between The Dark Knight and the Man of Steel in a live-action film. It's also supposed to be the kickoff point for their own DC Cinematic Universe, much like Iron Man was for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

We've seen teasers, and now a new trailer has dropped.


I do have a lot to say about this trailer. It's an action-packed trailer, I'll give it that. Big explosions, mainly. Another thing I have noticed is that everything seems really...drab. Much like Man of Steel, everything seems so grey and drab. It's like bright colors are unwelcome in this world. One could argue that may seem true of Civil War, but to me personally, that trailer seemed...brighter, if that makes sense. Or maybe it's just because much of the action in the trailer is shown at night, whereas in Civil War, we saw the heroes fighting each other during the day.

Another thing that stood out to me was seeing Henry Cavill as Clark Kent. I think he does look like Clark Kent. I will admit, to me, you'll never be able to beat the late Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent or Superman, but Henry Cavill, looks wise, he does well in his own right. As for Ben Affleck, I will admit, he's not bad as an older Bruce Wayne, looks-wise. But we'll have to wait for the movie to see if he can truly pull it off.

One thing that made me tilt my head was Jesse Eisenberg's scenes as Lex Luthor. It may just be me, but his Lex, from what little we see, seems...really goofy. Like, Eisenberg was thinking he was supposed to be the Joker goofy. I mean, I know back in the goofy wacky Silver Age, Lex Luthor was a mad scientist, but I doubt he was this wacky back in those days. Yeah. I mean, he didn't commit crimes on Einstein's birthday in those days, but that was really it for wacky stuff...as far as I know.

One cool thing about the trailer...Wonder Woman's entrance. That was awesome. Gal Godot looked really great as the Amazing Amazon. 

Doomsday is...meh. Yeah, I think I'm more excited about Civil War. This might sound like an...okay flick, but I'm more excited about Civil War, to be honest.

Both this film and Civil War will feature heroes in conflict with one another, so why am I more excited for Civil War? Well, mainly...because when it comes to that film, there has been a feeling that this has been coming for a long time. There's a sense of buildup for it. Think about it. In the two Avengers films, we've seen Steve and Tony disagree on things. Age of Ultron, The Winter Soldier, and Agents of SHIELD have all helped with the buildup to Civil War in their own ways.

With BvS, there's no feeling of buildup. This feels rushed. When it came to the MCU, we got a sense of something bigger coming up. Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man 2, they all told stories of their own, but also built up to the formation of the Avengers. With this, there's a general feeling of desperately trying to catch up. DC shouldn't worry about catching up. They should take their time, and improve on the flaws. DC is the company that created the superhero, they should be the company that perfected the cinematic universe. A shame, really. I want to see the Justice League in a big epic film, because I like DC and the JLA, too. However, I should be excited because I know it will be awesome, not shrugging because it will just be merely average. It's kind of sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment