Saturday, March 4, 2017

DuckTales Trailer, My Thoughts

Many things have been making a comeback in recent years. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers are getting a new movie, and a certain classic cartoon is making a comeback as well. That's right, I'm talking about DuckTales!

Now, many who were about my age may remember this old series, which told the tales of the adventures of Scrooge McDuck, the Richest Duck in the World, based on the Uncle Scrooge comics. Alongside his nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie, and hapless pilot Launchpad McQuack, he sought ways to increase his already grand fortune and also fought villains like the Beagle Boys, Magica De Spell, and Flintheart Glomgold. Other characters would be part of the series like Webigail "Webby" Vanderquack, Gyro Gearloose, GizmoDuck, etc.

The series was a popular hit, spawning a popular videogame for the NES and Game Boy (which got remastered in 2013).

Disney has announced it's making a comeback, and here's the trailer!


The trailer begins with Donald Duck driving the boys to Scrooge McDuck's manor. The boys are rather excited, with Louie making a funny crack that the boys will finally be sold. I'm hoping we get to see Donald have more of a role in this version than he got to in the original show.

I think they're also going to give each of the Duck triplets their own personality. I like that idea. It makes them more interesting characters. From what I remember of the original show, the triplets were rather interchangeable character-wise (They were even all voiced by the same person, Russi Taylor), so to me, that's an improvement.

We then get to meet Scrooge himself, and his manor. In a nice touch, the paintings are in a style rather reminiscent of Carl Barks. It seems that Scrooge is living up to his namesake, an old miser who lives alone in his manor. It seems according to Louie, he was a big-time celebrity, but seems to have faded out of the spotlight.

We next hear David Tennant's vocal performance for the first time, spouting out Scrooge's catchphrase about being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties. It's great they let Tennant use his actual Scottish accent for the role. I loved the late Alan Young as Scrooge, but Tennant is already showing to be a worthy successor.

We also meet the new take on Webby, who is a hyperactive Donald Duck fangirl. I have to admit, I do like her new design, and I'm hoping she gets to be a more active adventurer, unlike the tagalog in the original. I do like the scene where Donald loses his temper and gets his butt stuck. That was funny.

Scrooge's low-key days are insane for everyone else. Never forget that, folks. But based on what we see here in the trailer, it could be that Huey, Dewey, and Louie have reignited Scrooge's love for adventure.

At 1:15, I think we get a glimpse of Flintheart Glomgold! Awesome! I hope Magica De Spell and the Beagle Boys appear as well!

I also like the new take on the theme. I bobbed my head when it played.

Is it just me, or does Beck Bennett's take on Launchpad sound very similar to Terry McGovern's?

I loved this trailer. I smiled ear-to-ear when I watched it for the first time. I know some may complain about the changes to the show's look, but me...I don't mind it. It wasn't going to look like the original version, some things were going to get changed. I am just so happy to see the DuckTales gang back in action after so many long years.

When it comes to fans of the show, new and old, I think they will be in for a treat. I can't wait for this series to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment