Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Kong: Skull Island Trailer, My Thoughts

I am way late on this. Way late on this. With the reboot of the King Kong franchise, Kong: Skull Island coming to theaters...in a few days, I thought I'd take a look at the final trailer for the film. And here it is.


The trailer starts with a bang! Just King Kong casually wrecking dinosaurs. He's called KING Kong for a reason, folks. I'm betting those dinosaurs owed him money. You owe a debt to King Kong, you better pay it on time. Because he will come to collect. Just ask those dinosaurs.

The trailer next shows a bunch of helicopters flying towards an island. Now, from what I understand, this film takes place in 1973. I wanted to say that was a nice nod to the 1976 remake, but it's three years off. Since it's 1973, the Vietnam War is still raging, so I wonder how the military was able to spare all this equipment and men for this expedition.

We get a glimpse of Tom Hiddleston playing the character of James Conrad, a Vietnam Vet and British Special Air Service captain. Kong is going to get Loki'd, heh heh. I apologize. Anyway, he remarks there are plenty of ways to die on an island.

Corey Hawkins (at least, I think that's him), alongside John Goodman, gives him some money. Hawkins lays Houston Brooks (What a name), a geologist. John Goodman plays a man named Bill Randa, the head of the expedition. I'm guessing they want to hire Conrad as a guide through the jungle, considering his experiences in Vietnam. Uh, how would they know this "unknown island" would be a jungle similar to Vietnam? It might be a rainforest. Or a giant glacier. Or even an advanced alien city.

We get a glimpse of Brie Larson, playing Mason Weaver, a photojournalist, fiddling with a 1970s-era film camera. Gettin' in some action experience before donning the red-and-blue spandex in the upcoming Captain Marvel. Maybe she'll get empowered by a Kree machine left behind on the island.

We then get a brief glimpse of Samuel L. Jackson as Lt. Colonel Preston Packard, who is the Captain Ahab of the movie. I'm guessing he'll be the villain of the picture.

We get a glimpse of John C. Reilly as Hank Marlow, who lived on Skull Island for nearly thirty years, dropping a bomb. Yup.

And then we see a bunch of helicopters sighting King Kong, and trying to shoot him. You'd think at some point it would occur to these guys that the GIANT GORILLA MAY BE ABLE TO WITHSTAND BULLETS. Anyway, Kong wrecks them like he does the dinosaurs. The helicopters probably owed him money.

I want to say that I love the music in this trailer.

The bit with Marlow explaining the Skullcrawlers' name made me chuckle. It helps that with that big bushy beard he has, he looks like Daniel Bryan's crazy uncle.

The trailer ends with loads of shots of fighting and explosions and guns firing and Kong breaking helicopters like they owed him money and the monsters. It is a blast to watch.

I loved this trailer, and I've been excited to see this movie since I first saw the teaser trailer and kept forgetting to blog about it. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment