Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Sonic Mania, My Thoughts

Sonic is flipping the Switch, baby! That's right, Sega's most famous mascot is going to race his way into the Switch with a brand new game: Sonic Mania! And here's a trailer of it!


The game is meant to be a return to Sonic's roots, and I think many of the fanbase would agree, this could be something Sonic could really use right now, considering the reaction to the Sonic Boom games and television series.

The trailer begins with the Genesis-era "SEGA" intro. As someone who played the original Sonic games back in the day, it was nice to see that old intro again. The trailer then plays footage of the original Sonic game while stating that Sonic changed the world in 1991 on his debut, and then shows footage of various Sonic games over the last 25 years...wait, 25 years? Has it really been that long? Huh. Time flies, indeed.

 We then see some footage of the new game, Sonic's brand new 2D adventure. And I have to admit, I love what I see. It reminds me so much of the classic Genesis-era trilogy. It's so bright and wildly colorful.

The trailer hints at "reimagined classics", and shows footage of Sonic racing his way through what looks like Green Hill Zone from the first Sonic game. Could this mean we'll be seeing some classic levels from the original Sonic trilogy make a return? If that's true, I'm hoping that Chemical Plant is one of the returning Zones. It's a rather iconic Zone for its theme alone.

The trailer reveals that the game will have three playable characters: Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. Interestingly, they seem to be using the original 90s promotional art for the characters instead of the modern art. Well, it's appropriate. Old-school style game, old-school promotional art.

Sonic appears to have a new move for this game: The Drop Dash. Evidently, it allows Sonic to race into a curled-up dash right from the moment he hits the ground. I think it may be useful in a situation that requires Sonic to get going quickly. I wonder if Tails and Knuckles can do it.

I have to admit, I am excited for this game. I think it will be in my Switch library when I get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment