Thursday, October 26, 2017

Namco Museum Reveal Trailer

Namco. One of the great video game developers, it also was regarded as one of the premier developers of games during the 80s Golden Age of Arcades, with games like Dig Dug, Galaga (one of my favorite games), and of course, Pac-Man. They've also been releasing compilations of their arcade games on various consoles since the 90s, and now the Switch is the latest console to receive one of their Namco Museum complains, this coming to the eShop in July. So, in honor of that, let's look at the trailer for it!



The trailer begins with footage of Pac-Man playing. I have to admit, I like Pac-Man. It's an enjoyable game, but it's not my favorite Namco game.

Galaga. Now THAT is my favorite Namco game. If I see the game in an arcade, I have to play it. I recently went up to Lake George and they have an arcade. I was so happy when I saw a Galaga cabinet there. I was also quite overjoyed when the game got a shoutout in The Avengers. I got the NES port of it on my 3DS, and it's the reason why I like shooter games. Why do I like it? Well, I guess I just like the colorful bug enemies. Yeah. I like it because I think it looks cool.

Dig-Dug. I have played the sequel to it: Dig Dug 2. It was on the Namco Museum compilation for the Nintendo DS. Funny enough, it did not have this one. I think I remember playing this on a computer years ago? I'm not sure. But I did enjoy the second one, so I think I'll like this game. It does remind me of Mario 2, the sand levels where the player has to dig through the sand? I think of that when I see this.

Druaga. It looks neat. Running around in a maze and fighting green slime monsters? Reminds me a bit of Dragon Quest.

Rolling Thunder. I have heard of this game, but never have played it. Looking at it, though...it makes me think that this could have been a James Bond game. Seriously, just do some re-skinning and you could have Bond fighting SPECTRE.

I do like that each of the games has a unique border. I wonder if they're based on the art on the sides of their old cabinets? Druaga's is the coolest of the ones shown as it's essentially a comic. Yeah, it's a comic!

The trailer doesn't show footage of all the games included, but we do get a list of the games that will be there. I want to play Galaga '88. I have never really played that one. Same with Splatterhouse. Never saw it in an arcade, and I never owned a TurboGrafx-16 (Heck, as a kid, I never even heard of that console). The collection is ten games. That's a good amount, but hopefully we'll get some more by DLC. Would be nice to play games like Bosconian, Galaxian, and Pole Position on the Switch. Or maybe a Vol. 2.

It's a basic trailer, not much to say about it. We do get a tease of what's to come. Namco Museum does sound like it's a good choice for those who own a Switch and love retrogaming and/or want to bring back some memories of the Golden Age of Arcades.

No comments:

Post a Comment