Friday, October 6, 2017

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Trailer

As I'm sure my blog readers know, I am a big fan of the Pokémon franchise. I've been a fan of it since they first released the original Red and Blue for the original Game Boy. I still have those cartridges, too. As well as their Game Boy Advance remakes: FireRed and LeafGreen. I admit, I was kind of sad they weren't giving those games another remake for the 20th Anniversary. But we did get Sun and Moon, which are a lot of fun, and really shake up the games' formula, so I can't complain.

Speaking of the latest Pokémon games, they're getting follow-ups...of sorts. Described as "alternate stories" set in Alola, we're going to get Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon! And here's the trailer for it!


The trailer begins with the player character running out of their house. We see Pikachu and the starters...so far, it may start out like the original Sun and Moon. Okay. No need to shake things up right away, ease us into the new stuff. Good idea.

We get a glimpse of what looks like a grotto filled with Pikachu. I wonder what this is about.

Necrozma looks properly frightening here, floating over what I think is the portal to the Ultra Beasts' world. Maybe Necrozma is an Ultra Beast. Like other Ultra Beasts, it has a bizarre design that doesn't seem to quite fit in with the rest of the Pokémon. It's shown grabbing at Solgaleo, the legendary Pokémon and mascot of Pokémon Sun. I'm guessing that it has some plans for the solar-powered lion.

The trailer states Necrozma is the key to these games' story. That makes sense, considering the heavy emphasis the Pokémon gets here. We see what looks like cutscenes of Sun and Moon's legendaries, Solgaleo and Lunala, battling Necrozma. And then we what looks like Necrozma...merging with the legendaries, possibly allowing it to control them. Merged with Solgeleo, it's called Dusk Mane Necrozma. Merged with Lunala, it becomes Dawn Wings Necrozma. Huh. That's a different take on Pokémon forms. We're going to have to fight those things, aren't we?

Alola in these games will have a surf shop. Awesome. And say hello to the Valley of Pikachu! I wonder if that's all you can do there is talk to Pikachu? New clothing options. Nice. And also, they changed up how you choose a starter. Reminds me of Ruby and Sapphire.

Early buying incentive! A Rockruff that can evolve into a new form of Lycanroc: Dusk Form. I have to admit, it looks cool. It has a Z-Move of its own, it seems. I wonder if it has any unique attacks? And also, getting the digital version gets you 12 Quick Balls. It is also neat that Pokémon Gold and Silver are coming to the Virtual Console, but it would also be nice to see Black and White be compatible with Pokémon Bank. I know there's an app for it in Japan, it should be brought to the West. And if you get them, you can pay with Celebi in any of the Sun/Moon series. Cool.

New Ultra Beasts! UB Burst in Sun, and UB Assembly in Moon. Burst makes me chuckle. It looks like a clown crossbred with an ice-cream cone. Assembly is kind of funny, too. It looks like a walking castle tower with eyes. I get the feeling that when it comes to the Ultra Beasts, the designers were allowed to go a little nuts.

And evidently, they're putting out a Pokeball-themed New Nintendo 2DS. I just may pick that up next month.

This was an interesting trailer. Teased some new stuff, but not much revealed. And I am curious about Necrozma's role in these new games. Now, if you'll all excuse me, I gotta go finish Sun...

No comments:

Post a Comment