Monday, November 6, 2017

Sonic Forces Launch Trailer, My Thoughts

Sonic the Hedgehog. SEGA's arguably greatest mascot has gone through some major ups and downs in the franchise's history, but it seems the franchise did manage to score a hit with Sonic Mania. But there was another game in the pipeline as well: Sonic Forces. And the launch trailer is here for your viewing pleasure.


The trailer begins with a glimpse of a burning city, with robots marching towards Tails, and a voice saying we are almost out of time. The trailer reveals the game is from the same team that created Sonic Colors and Generations. I liked Colors, and I heard Generations was pretty good, so we can hope this game is good, too.

Eggman is rampaging, and he's closing to taking the world in his iron, eggy grip. The trailer shows quite a bit of gameplay. It looks like it might be in the style of Generations, which makes sense as this game will feature Classic and Modern Sonic. Also, I do hope we get a story for this game in the style of the comic books. The comic had managed to deal with some dark themes in a rather...family-friendly way.

I am guessing the Avatar character...let's call him Bob, uses gadgets alongside Sonic speed. The one we do see Bob using in the trailers is a grappling hook. I wonder if Bob will get his own levels with mechanics that are based around the hook? Would make some sense.

I wonder if we'll get to play as any of the other heroic characters. And why is Shadow with the villains? Isn't he really more of an anti-hero? Unless there's a swerve of some kind. Maybe he's trying to take them down from within? Or maybe it's not the original Shadow. One game did reveal a place full of clones of him.

HOLY CRUD THAT SPACE LEVEL WITH THE EGGMAN SHIPS IN THE BACKGROUND LOOKS COOL.

We did get a brief glimpse of Bob using the grappling hook to help him get around a corner. I'm hoping that's not the only use for it. I'd like to see it used to grapple objects and enemies.

This looks like it will be a fun game. Another to add to my potential Switch library when I finally get one...

No comments:

Post a Comment