Sunday, November 12, 2017

Thor: Ragnarok, My Thoughts

The Merry Mighty Marvel Cinematic Universe marches on! It's 17th film, Thor: Ragnarok, has hit theaters harder than Mjolnir. Is it another feather in the MCU's already impressive cap? Let's find out!


So, what's going down? Well, basically the end of everything. Thor (Chris Hemsworth) must team up with his rogue brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), the Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), and Brunhilde the Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) to deal with the Asgardian Goddess of Death, Hela (Cate Blanchett). She's mad, bad, and wants to burn Asgard to the ground. But first, the God of Thunder must find a way off the planet Sakaar and its massive gladiator games, run by the cosmic being known as the Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum).

This film was giving some very high praise, and I have to agree. It was a great film. Chris Hemsworth really got to show off his comic chops, and so did Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and the Hulk. The film was a grand adventure, and was fun from beginning to end. Seeing so many nods to the original comics was great. Two that stuck out to me was the usage of elements of Planet Hulk, one of my favorite Hulk stories, and another moment that paid homage to a famous moment among Thor fans. Jeff Goldblum's Grandmaster was fun to watch, too. He was so calm and understated about everything. It was great! Also, Taika Waititi himself, the director of this film, himself voiced the character of Korg, an alien rock-like gladiator Thor befriends during his time on Sakaar. He was a show-stealer and one of the best characters in the film.

I also liked the look of the film, especially Sakaar. It so unapologetically pays homage to Jack Kirby that it's insane. It is amazing. I could look at the Grandmaster's place for hours on end. I also really liked the 80s vibe of the movie, down to the Mark Mothersbaugh-composed soundtrack.

So, what did I feel could be better? Well, I have heard some people say the film was a bit too comedic at times, that the excessive humor hurt the more serious moments of the film. Personally, I didn't agree with that, but I could see why some came to that conclusion. Also, there were a couple characters that appeared in the film that I felt really should have deserved better. We hadn't seen them in a while, and they just were...discarded. I'll avoid saying which ones for the sake of spoilers. Also, I felt one character's arc was a bit quick.

So, should you watch Thor: Ragnarok? I say, yes. give it a watch. It's a genuinely fun movie. It is another feather in the MCU's cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment