Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Announcement, My Thoughts

Mega Man is not the only Capcom franchise celebrating a big anniversary this year. Alongside the Blue Bomber, the World Warriors will be celebrating the big 3-0. And for that celebration, they are releasing a game collection! Let's check out the trailer!


The trailer begins with footage of people playing Street Fighter II in arcades, and a voice-over talking about how revolutionary the game was. And indeed, it was. Street Fighter II was the game that revolutionized the fighting genre, and gave rise to other fighting games like King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, and Art of Fighting.

I love that metal remix of Ryu's theme.

The list of games in this collection is not surprising: The very first Street Fighter, the various versions of II and III, and the three Alpha games. It is kind of sad that the three Street Fighter EX games aren't included here, but I imagine that was because they were co-developed by Capcom and another game company called Arika, and it led to some kind of rights issues. Speaking of EX, I have heard a fourth is in development...

I think the collection also has some neat features. My favorite one is the sprite viewer. Sprite art has always fascinated me, so this feature is a great way to see the artistic efforts they put in into rendering the characters and their attacks. I also like the music viewer. Hopefully, it can be a way to listen to some tunes on your console of choice. I also like the timeline feature, as it is a brilliant way to educate gamers about the history of the series. And concept art is always great.

Some of the games do have online play. It's a shame not all of them do, but I can imagine the games that got online play were the ones that were considered the most popular in sales, so it does make some sort of sense.

This is a fantastic gift for gamers. This could allow gamers who are new to the SF franchise to learn about the history of the series that created a fighting game boom, and I'm sure veterans would appreciate having all these games in one place.

And speaking of gaming compilations...I want Super Mario All-Stars brought to the Switch. Don't just slap it in a cartridge like they did with the Wii 25th Anniversary port. Bring in a ton of special features with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment