Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Last Jedi Review

The second film in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy has finally arrived! The Last Jedi has hit theaters, and I finally got to see it! So, did this take the Star Wars universe to new heights, or did it crash and burn like an X-Wing in a dogfight? Let's take a look.


The First Order has been rampaging throughout the universe! Despite their fierce fighting and best efforts, the Resistance is on the run, and badly weakened. Rey is trying to get Luke Skywalker to help out, and a new generation of heroes must rise to save the universe. So, how was it?

Well, honestly, I really enjoyed it. There was a ton of action, some moments of humor (there were moments in the movie that had the people that were in the theater with me chuckling), and lots of great character work.

I also thought it had a great cast. My favorite had to be Kelly Marie Tran as Rose Tico. She had a lot of heart, and she was utterly enjoyable to watch.

Some of the things in the film also surprised me, which I'm not going to spoil here. There was a vibe of "Empire Strikes Back" in this movie, which makes sense. Star Wars is cyclical, and this film is quite darker than The Force Awakens. This is the Sequel Trilogy's Empire Strikes Back. And that's not a bad thing. Also, I have heard a lot of complaints about this film being rather...different than other films in the franchise, and personally, I don't think it's a bad thing. Different can be good. There was a scene in this movie that showed something that was actually quite brilliant.

My only real complaint about the film is that it did feel a bit...long in places. Nothing really bad or anything, just...a bit draggy at times. It didn't really hurt the film for me, I still enjoyed it.

The Last Jedi is an enjoyable film, and I recommend it. It's different, but that is good. It expands on the Star Wars mythos and shows that the next generation of Rebels are on their way. The film in a way is about passing the torch, and the new generation is proving themselves worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment