Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Hasbro Buys Power Rangers, My Thoughts

When I was a kid, like a lot of kids growing up in the early 90s, I was a nut for Power Rangers. And well, it was obvious why. The show was so cool, young people dressed up in colorful costumes fighting monsters, with giant robots that could combine together. It was epic! When I was a kid, I wanted nothing more than the original Megazord, but I was never able to obtain one. Sigh...my one big childhood regret.

Lately, I had heard the news that Hasbro was buying the franchise from Saban Brands. I did kind of raise an eyebrow, in a metaphorical sense. But I'll be honest. I didn't think much about it, until I saw this video from Toy Bounty Hunters.


Now, I have to admit, thinking about it, it does surprise me that Saban Brands would sell off what is arguably one of their biggest and most popular franchises. I'm sure to the regular joe, they'd be thinking: "Wait, didn't Saban Brands just have Power Rangers? What else could they still possibly have?" Well, they were involved with a ton of stuff that kids liked in the late 80s and early 90s (most notably Dragon Ball Z), and I'm sure they can create some new franchises.

Yeah, I doubt we'll get action figures of stuff like VR Troopers or Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. They didn't go over so well, and I doubt there's enough of a demand.

A Power Rangers/Transformers comic would be pretty neat. They have crossed over with the Justice League, and met the Ninja Turtles...well, the In Space incarnation of the team has. Hasbro could bring some fresh blood to the Power Rangers series, which means some new ideas, which can help keep the series from getting boring and losing viewers. That's honestly what I hope, we get some good Power Rangers shows out of this deal.

And that is really what I am hoping from this acquisition. I'm hoping Hasbro does a good job with the Power Rangers franchise. I hope they give us great series with some nice toys. That's all I want, just some good stuff to come out of it.

Speaking of Power Rangers, I gotta give the comic a read. Heard it was really good.

Also, give Toy Bounty Hunters on YouTube a view. I recommend their Henshin Time! videos. They're a historical series about the various incarnations of Super Sentai, the Japanese live-action hero series that would become Power Rangers in the West.

No comments:

Post a Comment