Monday, May 28, 2018

Skyscaper Trailer #2, My Thoughts

Back in February, I took a look at the first trailer for the upcoming flick Skyscraper starring Dwayne Johnson, and surprisingly, Neve Campbell. Yeah. Where had she been? Well, there's a new trailer out, so let's take a look at it!


This has been something I have been seeing in trailers lately. A flash of scenes before the actual thing starts. I first remember seeing it in the trailer for Blade Runner 2049. Why is that? That reminds me, I gotta see Blade Runner 2049. Heard it was good.

The trailer starts with Dwayne Johnson's character, ex-FBI agent Will Sawyer, putting on his prosthetic leg. I always wonder how they pull off an effect like that. I imagine it's a mix of body double and a bit of creative CGI myself.

You know, Will, it could have been worse. You could've ended up like Alex Murphy.

So, he married the surgeon who saved his life? Heck of a way to start a relationship. How did that start? Did he ask her out in the recovery ward or something?

That skyscraper looks like a DNA strand.

I do remember getting Die Hard vibes from the last trailer, but now, I find myself thinking of something else: J. G. Ballard's 1975 novel High-Rise. The novel in the book was like the one here in the movie, an advanced building that basically could be a small society on its own...but then it all goes to Hell. It inspired a 2015 film adaptation starring Tom Hiddleston, and a 1975 episode of Doctor Who: Paradise Towers.

You know, I bet somewhere right now, Hans Gruber is kicking himself for not adding a butt-kicking woman to his crew that tried to clean out Nakatomi Plaza.

He told himself to not look down...and he looked down. Why did he do that? You're just gonna freak yourself out, man!



See what I mean? You lost your focus, and you nearly slipped!

I doubt he could make that jump in real life. But hey, it's a movie.

Man, they never gave John McClane a chance to get his shoes on.

I wonder if some theme park is going to make a thrill ride inspired by that elevator.

THIS IS WHY YOU DO NOT START A HELICOPTER INSIDE.

Heh heh, I can imagine he's going to literally kill a man with that prosthetic. And I can also imagine that very last scene he is thinking, "Aw come ON, MAN! Do you know what kind of day I had today?!"

Well, I have to admit, I think this film will be at the very least, be a fun popcorn flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment