Thursday, May 31, 2018

Text Play: Pokemon Mega Adventure #9

Welcome back to the Akiba region, and it's time for the ninth entry in my Text Play series traveling through the fan game Pokémon Mega Adventure! It's also my 450th blog entry! Yay!


Last time, we arrived at Floroma Town. Yeah, I goofed and misspelled the town's name. It's FloROMA. Get it? Flower and Aroma? Yeah. My bad there, folks. Sorry about that. Anyway, I've been doing a bit of grinding, building a team to take on the Grass-type Gym in Floroma.


Mostly Flying-types, but they can hurt Grass, so I included them. Litwick and Torracat are the only Fire-type Pokémon I have, so I wanted to include them. Litwick can bring the burning pain with Fire Spin and Will-O'-The-Wisp. Wonderful little candle. And Torracat will be a great backup for Litwick.

During my grinding session, I got a variety of items from talking to the Pokémon following me. I think I may have said it before, but I love this mechanic. It's a fun way to encourage interaction with your Pokémon. I do think there is room for improvement, though. Like, the more you interact with your Pokémon, you can make them friendlier with you, which allows you to get better items. For example, a Pokémon finds Potions for you. But with increased friendship over time, that Pokémon could end up finding Super Potions, and then Hyper Potions. I wonder if one gets different items from different Pokémon. Would be a great way to encourage players to play with different Pokémon.

I also have to admit, the grinding wasn't so bad. I got many of my Pokémon caught up rather quick. I like it when an RPG tries to make grinding less of a chore. So, on to the Gym.



I love that the Gym looks like a giant forest. Appropriate for one that specializes in Grass-type Pokémon. I went through some of the Trainers in the Gym. Steamrolled a few of them. I think I made my Pokémon a bit too powerful, ha ha. So, with that, on to take on the leader of the Gym, Hai.


I wonder if his name is a reference to something. His first Pokémon is a Lv. 20 Deerling. Timex the Hoothoot and Betty the Butterfree tag-teamed this one. Wasn't an easy fight, though. The Deerling had an Oran Berry and got a Super Potion. Really hurt Timex and Betty. The next Pokémon Hai brought out was a Lv. 21 Nuzleaf. I had to use a Super Potion of my own to get Betty back in fighting shape, but I had four, so it was fine. Betty's gust wrecked that one. His final Pokémon was a Lv. 22 Roselia. Torracat took it down with one bite of its Fire Fang. And that was it.

Hai notes he used to be a trainer himself in Sinnoh. He gives me the Nature Badge, which allows me to use Rock Smash outside of battle. I also got TM86 (Grass Knot). He's also hoping for a rematch once I beat the big league tournament. I'm looking forward to that. When I left the Gym, I got a surprise.



O hai, Ash! I show off my newfound Nature Badge, which looks like a green leaf. Ash brags that he has 4 badges now. Good for you, Ash. It's not a race. He tells me that I should go to a place called Sunnyvall City. Serena evidently has a gift for me there. Okay, why couldn't she give me this thing here? What could she possibly be doing? I can get to Sunnyvall through the Eleton Cave. Hey, the old man in front of said I needed three badges before he's let me go in there. I guess that's not going to be a problem anymore, heh heh.

And with that, Ash just leaves. Well, see you, I guess. I got a call from Jeff at Rocky Cave. He and his Mienfoo want a rematch. I'll have to oblige sometime.

Remember the flower shop? Well, I thought I'd check it out again, expecting to see it fully opened up now that I have beaten the boss of this town, as it were. But surprisingly, it was still in its previous state. That was surprising.

Eleton Cave is rather unusual when it comes to caves. When you go to caves in Pokémon games, I know one may think that you'd find plenty of Rock/Ground-types, and of course, Zubats. Tons and tons of Zubats. The bane of caves. Instead, in Eleton Cave...you find Electric-type Pokémon, as well as Steel-type. Although Steel would make sense as metal is often mined from underground. Huh. I did spot a Team Prime member near a ladder, but he made me go away.

While exploring the Cave, I found this guy.


His name is Harmos. He gave me TM94 (Rock Smash). Awesome. I taught it to my Geodude. I introduce myself, and he explains that there is a Gym in Sunnyvall City. Just have to get through the cave.

Outside the Cave, I found TM73 (Thunder Wave), and found myself in Mitsugi Town. Mitsugi Town is the home of Luan, who became Pokémon Champion some four years ago. There's also a Day-Care Center here. If I ever catch a Ditto, I'll try breeding some Pokémon here. I passed through the town and noticed Brendan zipping by me faster than a cheetah on cocaine. What was that about? I wish there was a Pokémon Center here, though. Luan's home is also here, but you can't go inside.

From Mitsugi Town, was Aerocliff Bridge. There are wild Pokémon on the Bridge. Mainly Rattata, Ekans, and Pidove. I battled a Black Belt named Hachi there, and added his number to my contacts list in my Pokégear. One of the Trainers on the bridge is nervous about battling on the bridge, but does so anyway. Dude, we don't have to do this. After I beat him, my player character calls him a coward. What the heck, man?!

Thankfully, Sunnyvall City is right at the end of the bridge. When I finally make it, Brendan is waiting for me. He needs my help. Team Prime has taken over the Power Plant here, and we gotta clear them out, because the cops are too busy guarding the local donut shop. I gotta meet a friend of his down at the Gym.

Sunnyvall is a weird city, because you have to enter a cave to get in the city itself. There, I found Serena, and we had a battle. I was worried about this, as my Pokémon were pretty wrecked after Aerocliff Bridge, but they all got healed up somehow. Maybe Brendan or Serena herself did it?

She brings out her Pidove, which was dealt with by Bulbasaur and Luxio, who also took care of Wartortle. Torracat took care of her Sewaddle. After the battle, she reveals that Professor Oak has sent me...a bike. I also got an Ice Stone, whatever that is.

The city seems to be split in half by a big line of rock. One of the houses on the right side has a family. The kid has an Electrike he's willing to trade for a Tynamo. Well, I encountered a wild Tynamo in the Eleton Cave map, and I did catch it, so I made the trade. You can also encounter a wild Magneton in the cave. The Pokémon Center in Sunnyvall has a man who will take it in exchange his special Raichu. His Raichu is special, alright.


It's the Alolan variant. Cool!

At the Gym, I encounter May. She is there to help stop Team Prime activate the Power Core at the Power Plant. Why? Well, they want to destroy the world. Wait, why? There's no profit in that! Before we go in, she gives me a choice of Mega Stones: Venusaurite, Blastoisinite, and the two varities of Charizardite (X and Y). I chose the Venusaurite because I have an Ivysaur, and it can use it once it evolves again. Next time, we take on Team Prime at the Power Plant! Wish me luck!

Pokémon Obtained:
Route 7
- Shroomish
- Snivy
- Ralts
- Pidgeotto (evolved from Pidgey)

Eleton Cave
- Voltorb
- Magnemite
- Klink
- Drilbur
- Ferroseed
- Bronzor
- Joltik
- Tynamo
- Emolga (100th Pokémon obtained)
- Magneton

Eleton Path
- Minun
- Pachirisu

Aerocliff Bridge
- Hoppip

Sunnyvall City
- Electrike (Obtained via Trade)
- Raichu (Alolan variant, obtained via trade)

No comments:

Post a Comment