Monday, December 23, 2019

Wonder Woman 1984 Trailer, My Thoughts

Back in June of 2017, I gave a review of Wonder Woman's cinematic debut. I found it to be rather enjoyable, and I was pretty happy to hear that, but I was confused about something: Why set it in 1984? Don't get me wrong, I love the 80s, but it caught me out of left field. Why set it in the 80s? I personally would have liked to have seen Diana in World War II. See her form the Justice Society, that kind of thing. Ah, well. Let's look at this trailer!


This shot is totally not ominous.

From what I understand, Kristen Wiig here is portraying the Barbara Ann Minerva incarnation of Cheetah. It does make sense, she is likely the most famous incarnation of the villainous cat-woman. And I get the impression from this scene that this is a nod to her first post-Crisis on Infinite Earths meeting with Wonder Woman, pretending to befriend her to get her magic lasso.

I did see a photo of some merch showing Wiig in her Cheetah costume, and it's got me thinking that maybe this Cheetah will be a costumed criminal like the Priscilla Rich or Deborah Domaine incarnations were. Also, does anyone get reminded of Selina Kyle from Batman Returns?



Must be the blonde hair and the glasses. I would not be surprised if it's an homage.

In case you're wondering, the song is "Blue Monday" by British band New Order. The song was originally released in 1983, so it would still be pretty new at the time.

Count on the Amazing Amazon to make an entrance.

I like that Wonder Woman's put away the sword and shield. It ain't wartime, she doesn't need them. And her suit appears to be brighter, too.

Seeing that plane must be a bit triggering for Diana. Her first love did die on an airplane 70 years earlier...

Yeah, there's gotta be a twist to Steve Trevor's supposed return from the grave.

What is Maxwell Lord doing with a gold Lego crystal? And where can I get one of those?



"Screw your bullets, I'm Wonder Woman!"

If Steve is awed by fireworks, just wait until he discovers microwaves. And Transformers! Those will blow his mind! But in all seriousness, it's a great way to reverse the dynamic Steve and Diana had in the last movie. Now Steve is the one in a wild new world.

She just whipped a dude with a lasso. William Moulton Marston, wherever he is, is smiling.

Lots of action stuff, typical for a trailer like this.

Oh, she's got the Kingdom Come armor. Neat.

Well, this looks like it will be a fun movie. I enjoyed the first Wonder Woman film, so I think Wonder Woman 1984 looks to be a fun ride. Still confused as to why its set in the 80s, though.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! if you liked it, spread it around! See you around!

No comments:

Post a Comment