Sunday, December 29, 2019

Pokemon Sword/Shield Overview Trailer, My Thoughts

The newest games in the mainline Pokémon series, Sword and Shield, have finally arrived. The game has undergone its fair share of controversies, mainly in the revelation that the game did not include all pre-existing Pokémon. This infuriated the Pokémon fanbase, as it was felt that it went against the basic catchphrase of the franchise: "Gotta catch 'em all!" Me personally, I wasn't that bothered. There's nearly 900, yes nine hundred species of Pokémon. It's getting real hard to keep track. Also, what would be the point of introducing new Pokémon if people are just going to go hunt down their favorites? Give the new ones a try! You might find some new favorites here.

Despite this, the game has gotten a lot of praise for the new features, streamlined Pokémon encounters, and the designs of the new Pokémon. Nintendo released an overview trailer for the games, so let's take a look at it!


I am so impressed with how Galar looks. And I love that you can see Pokémon wandering around in the overworld. It's about time we saw that here.

I've been thinking about getting these games, and I've been leaning towards getting Scorbunny as my starter. It leapt out at me when it was first announced...metaphorically, of course. But I do want to get all three. It's a bit of a tradition with me and Pokémon games.

Leon, the Champion of the game looks like he jumped out of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Considering how popular JoJo is in Japan, I'm not surprised Game Freak would homage it in some way.

Bagpipes...

This reminds me of the English villages from Miss Marple.

I think it's funny that that Budew is just casually chilling on the desk.

About time you can catch wild Eeveelutions.

Heh. I like Yamper. It's not surprising that in a Pokémon region based on the UK, there's a Corgi-like Pokémon.

Cramorant has seen some things.


Duraludon is awesome. Enough said.

I wonder if Alcremie could be considered a cousin to Vanillite. I mean, Alcremie is living cream, and Vanillite is essentially living ice cream. Living dairy products and all that.

I did a blog entry giving my thoughts on Sirfetch'd.

I've kind of like the idea of Pokémon having regional variants. I'm glad they kept that going. Galar's Ponyta looks like it was made of cotton candy. I'm not making fun, its mane makes me think of cotton candy. And I think the Galarian Zigazgoon line is awesome. Galarian Weezing is just hilarious.

I love the World Cup atmosphere of these Gym battles. It really gives the idea that these are a very big deal. I can imagine the Gym Leaders are big-time celebrities, like famous athletes. They probably have their faces on boxes of Galarian Wheaties. Or, more appropriately, Weetabix.

I know some people have their critiques of the Wild Area, but I look at it like this. This is a world that emphasizes humans and Pokémon living in harmony. It makes sense that people would want to avoid messing with Pokémon's natural habitats as much as possible. Hence, large areas like nature preserves where Pokémon can live peacefully.

I'm kind of...meh on the whole Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing thing. On one hand, it's kind of cool seeing some of the Pokémon's transformed states, but knowing my luck, I'll end up barely using it.


Ohhhh, dear. As if regular-size Gyarados weren't scary enough. I can imagine all those trainers looking at each other and thinking the same thing.


I get the feeling these Gigantamax battles are the only way to catch certain Pokémon in these games.

Customization here looks deeper than in previous games. Nice.

Sending Pokémon on errands, huh? I hope there's some nice bonuses for this.

I like the Pokémon camp feature. Nice way to build bonds with your Pokémon. And I heard there were a ton of potential curry recipes.

The trading card feature is neat.

Well, there's not really anything new this trailer reveals. Everything in this trailer, even the Gym Leaders showcased, all were revealed in previous trailers. That's really my only complaint. It's a good trailer for showing the basics of these new Pokémon games. I think I'll pick them up myself sometime...

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment