Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Movie Review: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

The battle between the Resistance and the First Order reaches its climactic end in the third and final film of the Star Wars sequel trilogy: The Rise of Skywalker. So, was this a worthy end to the Skywalker Saga, or was it a podrace wreck? Find out in my review of The Rise of Skywalker!


With the Resistance on its last legs, former stormtrooper Finn, Resistance pilot Poe Dameron, and burgeoning Jedi Knight Rey must muster their forces for one final stand against the First Order. However, the problem is that an old evil has found a way to return from the grave, and our heroes may not be able to prevent darkness from covering the galaxy. I apologize if I come off a bit vague when talking about this movie, but I want to remain as spoiler-free as possible.


With J.J. Abrams back in the director's chair after The Force Awakens, it features the return of many cast members from the previous two Star Wars films. We also have Naomi Ackie and Domhnall Gleeeson joining the cast as respectively a new ally and a Resistance member. Ackie got a nice bit of screen time.

What I loved about the film was the big action set pieces. The final battle was astounding. It was one of the coolest final battles I had ever seen, right up there with Avengers: Endgame. It was a joy to watch. You have to see it in the theater. It's just...just beautiful.

There were appearances that surprised me, and some of the ending scenes, including the final scene. I watched this film with my dad, and he found it a bit confusing in places. I didn't quite share it, but I knew more about the Star Wars mythos than he did.

I have heard this film got some criticism for seemingly not following up on The Last Jedi, but I don't think it was completely warranted. I liked seeing Poe's fully becoming the leader of the Resistance, and Finn being a true Resister, which was started in the last movie. I did wish Kelly Marie Tran's Rose got more screen time, though.

I enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker, despite some headscratching moments. It's not a film you should overthink. There were some emotional moments, great battle scenes, and some nice surprises.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you enjoyed it, spread it around! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment