Thursday, January 9, 2020

January 9th Pokemon Direct, My Thoughts

The first Pokémon Direct of 2020 has arrived, promising some new information about Sword and Shield! I admit, I was pleasantly surprised by this. What would this Direct reveal? Well, let's take a look!



Huh. Looks like the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games are making a comeback. I never really was interested in those games.


But there is a demo, so I'll give it a try. Who knows? I might end up liking it.

Huh, expansions for Pokémon Sword and Shield, huh? I have to say, I like this idea. It's a great way to add new content to the games without buying a new game.

Wait...is that what a Galarian Slowpoke will look like? I'm thinking it will be Water/Ground.

Looks like we're going to get some new clothing and hair options. Which is nice.

Hey, Venusaur and Blastoise are getting Gigantamax forms, too! And they're pretty neat!

I like the name Isle of Armor. Fits the Sword/Shield theme. Knights wear armor.

And looks like we got a second location, too. Complete with ruins. And snow.

Hey, Garchomp! Those Pokémon are beasts!

Looks like the Legendary Birds might get new forms.

Big bear and...WHAT IS THAT?!


I imagine the Isle of Armor is essentially like a big ol' nature preserve mixed with the Safari Zone.

Ooh, a Pokémon Dojo!

Mustard. Our new master is named Mustard. That...that is just hilarious.

Mustard trained Leon, huh? I wonder he was the Champion Leon defeated to become champion.

Not surprising they'd continue the exclusive characters thing here. The new characters do look neat. I would not be surprised if Doctor Who was an inspiration for Avery's design. He does look like an incarnation of the Doctor.

Kubfu. Get it? Kung Fu? Heh heh.



Urshifu having different "styles" is a clever twist on the "Forme" thing some Pokémon have. Appropriate for a Fighting-type.

And the three starters' final evolutions have Gigantamax forms now! Awesome! I know there have been a lot of jokes about Inteleon's sniper nest form, but it makes sense. It was inspired by secret agents.

Crown Tundra has ruins to explore? Awesome!

...what is Calyrex supposed to be? Some kind of mutant deer?

...Oh. My. God. You can catch legendary Pokémon from the previous games! HOLY TOLEDO, THAT IS AWESOME!

I'm excited to get a Garchomp. Those things are beasts.

Well, that update thing is nice and convenient.

I'm guessing Galarian Slowpoke is partially Fire.

Well, this is a rather pleasant surprise. I love the idea of new locations to explore, and I'm sure some people would love to see more old Pokémon making their return. I am really curious about the Galarian Slowpoke. Also, it's great that Venusaur and Blastoise are getting Gigantamax formations. Charizard shouldn't get all the glory. And speaking of starter evolutions, I love Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Inteleon's Gigantamax forms, too. Rillaboom looks like he's ready to rock the Budokan! I do hope that we get to see more little expansions like this in the future.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment