Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Mortal Kombat 11 Announcement Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1992, Midway Games released a little fighting game in arcades. It was called Mortal Kombat. The game told the tale of a group of warriors who used their martial arts skills to try and prevent a tyrant from another dimension from conquering Earth, or as it's known in the game's universe, Earthrealm.

The arcade game would be a big success, coming to home consoles like the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, and even the Game Boy. The SNES version was notorious for having the blood and fatalities removed due to Nintendo's censorship policies. The game, among others, also was the subject of controversy due to its blood and violence. It led to the creation of the ESRB.

27 years later (yeah. 27. This franchise is long-runner), the game has spawned a franchise. Ten main series games (including a 2011 reboot), spinoff, cartoons, comic books, Mortal Kombat has shown itself to be one of the great game franchises. At the 2018 Game Awards, it was announced a new main series Mortal Kombat game was coming! So, let's take a look at the announcement trailer for Mortal Kombat 11! Oh, fair warning, It's Mortal Kombat, it'll get bloody. And gory. And very death-y.



I bet those praying statues are actual dead bodies.

Ouch.

Hi, Scorpion. How was the DC Universe? Things are getting toasty now!

Man, Raiden's new look is...kind of creepy. The red lightning doesn't help.

Yeah, I have to admit, I am not feeling the song here. Nothing against hip-hop or anything (the song here is called "Immortal" by 21 Savage, if you're curious), but I think this particular song wasn't the best choice. I'm surprised they didn't use a certain iconic song associated with the series.

Sometimes, you just have to let two Mortal Kombat characters punch each other unconscious and get it out of their system.

Or let them impale each other. Ouch.

Raiden used Thunder Punch! It was not very effective.

Ouch.

OUCH.

HOW ARE YOU NOT DEAD AFTER THAT, RAIDEN?

Aw man, Scorpion worked really hard on that face mask, and Raiden had to break it. Raiden's a jerk.

Mortal Kombatants tend to be much hardier than normal humans. You have to WORK to finish them off. 

Oh cool, old-school Scorpion! ...did he just have a spare body he could transfer his consciousness into in case his head gets exploded?

SPEAR! SPEAR! BAH GAWD ALMIGHTY!

Ow. In the Mortal Kombat world, overkill is a walk in the park.

...I'm next? Oh dear...

...what's with the hourglass? Is it counting down to something?

...who was that? What was that?!

Well, this seems rather interesting. I will admit, Mortal Kombat has never really been my fighter of choice. I'm a Smash Bros. guy. I did play some Mortal Kombat X with my brother-in-law, and I had some fun, so I think I'll give this a try. Also, I found a version of this trailer with the iconic Mortal Kombat theme! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment