Saturday, April 30, 2016

Independence Day: Resurgence Trailer, My Thoughts

This was something I didn't expect to see at all. A sequel to the 1996 alien invasion film Independence Day, twenty years afterwards. They even dropped a trailer.


I will say, I liked the first film. It was a fun little popcorn film. And I like the fact that they are taking advantage of the time passing in the real world since the last film. According to the film's Wikipedia entry, the film is about the aliens from the first Independence Day essentially wanting a little bit of payback on Earth for kicking their butts in the last movie.

However, humanity hasn't been sitting on their hands. In the twenty years since, an Earth Defense Force has been created to serve as humanity's defense against aliens, using technology reverse-engineered from remains of the alien spacecraft that crashed on Earth in the last movie. I actually think that was very clever of the writers of this film to have this device.

The trailer itself, well...there's not a lot to talk about with it One thing I thought was really cool was the usage of Bill Pullman's character's speech from the original Independence Day in the trailer. It's a great callback to the original film. And it is awesome to see Jeff Goldblum on the big screen again. I hope he gets to say "Most go faster" again. Shame Will Smith didn't want to get involved.

The trailer is mostly shots of various vehicles, the characters, and effects. But then again, isn't that was all trailers are made of? I have to admit, this looks like a really fun film to see. I think I'll especially love the dogfights between the aliens and the EDF's alien-enhanced jet craft.

I hope in the film, or at least in the eventual tie-in media, will explore how everyday life in this world has changed since that alien attack, and how it affected the generation that grew up afterwards. That is something I would like to see. How is everyday life affected by the alien tech? I hope we get some answers on that.

I have heard some people have said that a return of the aliens is impossible, as they were all destroyed at the end. Their civilization traveled from planet to planet, drain its resources, then leave. However, what if the fleet that got destroyed by Earth was just one of many? What if those aliens actually had multiple fleets traveling around the universe looking for resource-rich planets at the same time? That could explain why others are coming to Earth. They realized that the Earth is a potential threat, so they decide to take it out before they become a real power in the universe and a massive problem for them. That's how I see it.

Anyway, I hope this movie will be as fun as the trailer promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment