Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Venom Trailer, My Thoughts

In February, Sony released a teaser trailer for their solo film focusing on Venom, the Lethal Protector, and one of Spider-Man's greatest foes. I didn't remember thinking too highly of it. But now, there's a full-on trailer for this thing, so let's take a look at it.


The trailer begins with a bunch of cop cars and ambulances everywhere. Man, Thanos can throw one heck of a party, can't he? Those who can remember it will be speaking of it for all time. And you can bet Star-Lord and Iron Man will be nursing the mother of all hangovers.

There's more than one symbiote in those cans. Which one is the other? Carnage? Scream? Would be cool if it was Scream.

Ah, good they set it in San Francisco. That was Venom's stomping grounds during his Lethal Protector days. And nice to see Eddie is a reporter. And I like the idea of him investigating human experimentation.

The Life Foundation?! God, the film's writers are digging deep into the Spidey mythos! That's good, though. Shows the writers did do their research somewhat.

Oh God, the pronunciation. The word "symbiote" is pronounced sym-bee-oat.

Okay, that part with Eddie's symbiote throwing around the mooks is pretty cool.

I do kind of like the idea of Eddie and the symbiote talking to each other. Can help give a bit of a horror feel to this movie. This guy is sharing a body with a powerful creature that does not like him or other people very much. Oh, the fun that one could have with that idea...

And here he is, at last. I think he looks alright. I chuckled at they way the line "We...are Venom." was delivered. It was still cool. And Venom is really proud of that tongue. In my mind, Venom was all like, "Hi. We're Venom. And we will be consuming your brains tonight." I have seen someone joke on Twitter that he looks "rubbery", and I can see why. He is rather...shiny. Maybe the special effects are incomplete. I hope that's what it is. This take on Venom does remind me of Todd McFarlane's original take on the character a bit.


I have to admit, this trailer was more interesting than the teaser in February. I just have two reservations. One is, I fear we won't see much of Venom in the movie. Also, I still am not really fond of them doing a solo Venom film without Spider-Man. The thing about the early days of the Eddie Brock/Venom combination was he was obsessed with Spider-Man. Spidey accidentally ruined his career. Eddie had gotten a story on the secret identity of a killer known as the Sin-Eater.

Brock had published a series of articles about the Sin-Eater, but Spider-Man caught the real Sin-Eater. The one Eddie was writing the articles on was revealed to be someone wanting attention. As such, his career was ruined and he wanted revenge on Spidey. Also, Spidey was using the symbiote suit for a while before this, but rejected it when he discovered it was trying to take over his body. The suit didn't like that. The symbiote sensed Eddie's hatred for Spidey, and the two of them bonded together, becoming Venom.

Venom was Spider-Man's worst nightmare. All of his powers, stronger than Spider-Man, undetectable by Spider-Man's spider-sense, and also aware Peter Parker was Spider-Man. That's what Venom should be starting out. He should start out as Spidey's boogeyman, the one regular villain that can actually frighten him. The one that makes him look over his shoulder constantly. A more monstrous, ruthless dark mirror to Spider-Man.

Do I think this film could be good? I think they'll do their best to make this film good. And I'll give it a fair shot. It might actually be a good movie. I just wish this was connected to Spider-Man...

No comments:

Post a Comment