Monday, September 23, 2019

Ninja Saviors Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1994, Natsume released the game The Ninja Warriors for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Known as Ninja Warriors Again in Japan). It had been described as a remake/sequel to the 1987 arcade game of the same name. The game had gotten praise for its graphics, controls, and characters, but it was criticized for its short length and lack of a 2-player cooperative mode. Despite this, the game would go on to be hailed as one of the very best beat-em-up games for the Super Nintendo, and original cartridges would go on to be collectors' items.

In the game, you play as one of three robotic warriors: The balanced dagger-using Kunoichi, the strong-but-slow nunchuck-wielding Ninja, or the fast-but-fragile chained sickle-using Kamaitachi. As one of these robots, you fight to free the world from a tyrant known as Banglar.

The developers of the game were the very same men who would later go on to develop the other iconic Natsume SNES gem Wild Guns: artist/designer Shunichi Taniguchi, composer Hiroyuki Iwatsuki, and programmer Toshyiasu Miyabe. Also like Wild Guns, it's got an enhanced remake.

Yes, like Wild Guns Reloaded, Taniguchi, Iwatsuki, and Miyabe also created a new version of The Ninja Warriors called Ninja Warriors Once Again. It was released in Japan in July, and it's coming to the West as Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors. Let's take a look at the trailer!



I really like the tunes here.

Kunoichi is the well-balanced one. She's not the strongest, nor the fastest, but she does well. She's also arguably the most popular character in the game. I wonder why.

I absolutely love the graphics, that classic 16-bit style.

I get the idea that Kunoichi is the character that's good for new players of the game. You can use her to figure out your playing style, then switch to the other two.

Heh heh, stage hazards are fun!

As I said earlier, Ninja is the powerhouse. He's not quick, but he hits hard.

Computer console to the face! That will hurt!

You know, Ninja would make a great pro wrestler.

BACKBREAKER, BAH GAWD ALIMGHTY!

BAH GAWD, NINJA! THESE PEOPLE HAVE FAMILIES!


And we have the final classic character: Kamaitachi!

Kamaitachi looks like the makers couldn't decide whether he should be a ninja or a biker and decided to compromise. Ninja biker!

I think I'd like Kamaitachi. I am a bit of a sucker for speedy characters.

And yup! We got two new characters!

Say hello to Yaksha! I'm not sure what she's modeled on.

I think she's going to get a lot of fanart.

The extending arms are neat. I think her specialty is fighting at a distance. Would make sense with the extending arms.

Heh heh, puny guards.

Slingshot maneuver!

And here's the second new character: Raiden!

Oh my Lord, look at the size of him! You thought Ninja was the "big guy" of the bunch?! Raiden makes him look puny.

Only way Raiden could be any more awesome was if he was also a Transformer. I think a tank mode would fit him.

HE IS A TRANSFORMER!



I love how he just casually throws dudes around! I think I will love playing as him!

Hey cool, the original music is in the game! I'm sure the people who played the original SNES version will love that!

And there's also local co-op! Hey, you can smash robots with a buddy! That's great! A game like this should be enjoyed with a friend.

Red Special Effects. Basically, blood. Yeah, you can have blood in this game. This wasn't possible in the SNES version because back in the day, Nintendo of America had very strict regulations on certain content. This was before game rating systems were a thing.

I believe the throwing stars attack was from the original arcade. Great to see they're going out with this.

Bring on October, baby! I cannot wait for this game! I loved the remake of Wild Guns, so I'm so happy this game also got that remake treatment! I've never played the original, so I am especially excited for this. It looks like a must-have if you love beat-em-ups. And I love old games, so I will get this!

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment