Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Joker Final Trailer, My Thoughts

Back in April, I gave my thoughts on the trailer for the upcoming film Joker, based on the DC supervillain. The film is meant to be in the vein of films like Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. It's meant to also be the first in a series of films called "DC Black", which will be films based on DC characters that are not meant to be part of the DC Extended Universe. It was recently screened at the 76th Venice International Film Festival, where it was received positively ,especially for Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal as the title character. So, it might be pretty good. Let's take a look at the final trailer!


Welcome to 1981 New York City.

I don't blame you, Art. Bus rides must have been really boring pre-Game Boy.

He missed his calling entertaining kids.

What're you laughing at?

Yeah, I get the feeling a certain bunch are really not going to get the point here...

Hey, in a Scorsese-esque film, why not get Robert De Niro in it?

I admit, I'd love to be a talk show host. I think I could do it.

Dude, that was a perfectly good clown mask! Why toss it in the trash?!

Yech, paint can't taste good on the tongue.

Yeah, this is definitely not going to be Joker's one bad day. This is his one bad life.

Well, this trailer was something. The thing I do hope for this film is that it makes perfectly clear that Joker is a bad guy. People do intend to misinterpret films like this, and may see the Joker as the good guy. He's not. He's not a good guy. He's a very bad person. He's a monster. Monsters can have sympathetic origins, but there has to be a point where one has to say, "Yeah...you're not worth pity. You need to be stopped." I think the film will be an interesting character study, but I do hope DC tries to give other characters a shot in film.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment