Thursday, April 4, 2019

Joker Trailer, My Thoughts

One of DC Comics' most iconic supervillains is returning to live-action film! This time, it will be Joaquin Phoenix donning the makeup of...the Joker! Yes, the Joker is getting his own live-action movie!

This film is rather unique as it will not be a part of the DC Extended Universe. Indeed, Joker is intended to be the first in a series of films that focus on various characters from the DC Universe, but are all intended to be their own separate thing. Basically, this is DC taking their "Elseworlds" concept to film. I will give my thought on that later. But for right now. Let's take a look at this trailer!


The year is 1981. Ronald Reagan is sworn in as the 40th President of the United States, beginning his first of two terms. The first DeLorean rolls off the production lines in Northern Ireland. Future Captain America Chris Evans is born. Bill Haley of the Comets dies. Jenette Kahn becomes president of DC Comics. Superman meets Spider-Man and Batman meets the Increidble Hulk. Basically, it was a big year.

Meet Arthur Fleck, wannabe stand-up comedian. He's going to have One. Bad. Day. Based on that look on his face. He should talk to someone about it. I've heard theories his name is meant to be a nod to Ben Affleck (A. Fleck. Get it?), but I think it's a coincidence.

Gray skies are going to clear up...put on a happy face...

So, he's reduced to being an ad. To be fair, I can imagine twirling signs like that takes some skill.

Now that's just not cricket.

Did...did he also get kicked in the nards? I'm guessing this is Arthur's one bad day.

Is it just me, or is there something messed up with Joaquin Phoenix's arm and shoulder there?

Future Harley Quinn?

Welcome to Arkham State Hospital, Art! You're going to be living there!

"I swear to God, if that guy doesn't shut up about the worms in his brain..."

I like the idea of the Joker being portrayed as this tragic figure, slowly going mad not necessarily because of a single bad day, but because of the world around him.

Seeing the people in his makeup facing off against the cops is interesting. I would love it if this film deconstructed the idea of people admiring the Joker while glossing over the fact that the guy is a major villain.

I have to admit, Joaquin's Joker look is really cool. He's still a bad guy, though.

This is...interesting. I have to admit, a part of me is wondering what the point of this movie is. After all, it's a movie focusing on a DC character...that is not connected to the DC Extended Universe. Why do this? But then again, what's the point of making any movie, am I right? I think there is an interesting film here. I like that there was no grand speeches about chaos. He's just a man going mad, convinced the world is a gigantic joke.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you enjoyed reading it, please spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some extra support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment