Friday, April 5, 2019

RAD Announcement Trailer, My Thoughts

For the last nearly twenty years, Double Fine Productions have been creating video games. My first exposure to them was with the games Brutal Legend , Costume Quest, and Iron Brigade (I played it back when it was called Trenched). I loved those games. I don't think anyone talks about those games much. A real shame.

Well, one of their newest offerings is coming to the Nintendo Switch: RAD. It tells the tale of a teenager who must travel a radioactive wasteland (Get it? Rad? Radiation?) and restore life to it. The game is a action roguelike, which usually means randomly-generated levels and permanent death of the player character. I have played a roguelike based on Doom, and I have found that rather fun. So, let's see what RAD brings to the table!



Hi, Lee!

That's great and all, but when are you guys bringing Iron Brigade, Brutal Legend, and Costume Quest to the Switch?

He didn't spoil anything, he just said the game is rad. Well, considering that I have enjoyed some of their games in the past, I can believe it.

This is the 5,834,623rd game to use the Unreal Engine.

...how do you destroy the world twice?!

Eh, I've seen worse-looking front porches where I live.

Hey, Scully the Skeleton! Get up off your bony non-existent butt and help clean this mess up! Lazy bag of bones!

Does Rad here have seeds in his shoes? Is he like Johnny Appleseed? I do hope we can customize the player character. Maybe have articles of clothing give out different bonuses?

Liking the soundtrack so far.

Tubular to the max, strange voice!

When in doubt, whack it with a bat! That's how it's done in the post-apocalyptic world.

The character can mutate into different forms, huh? I can see possibilities with that. Different forms having different abilities would be great for exploration and combat.

Snake head is awesome.

Okay, the whole laying eggs and hatching bugs with the player character's head...that seems wrong in so many ways.

Really liking the look of the game.

Well, this game seems like a lot of fun! I think I will give this a shot! I like the idea of the mutations, and travelling around trying to bring new life to a nearly-dead world. I have enjoyed the fan-made Doom roguelike, so I think I'll give this a try. I hope there's a demo.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, please spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some additional support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment