Sunday, April 14, 2019

Movie Review: Hellboy (2019)

When an ancient queen returns and is intent on wiping out humanity, the only way to stop her is to raise a little hell. And who better than Hellboy to do said hell-raising? Well, the live-action Hellboy reboot is out! Did it hit harder than the Right Hand of Doom, or was it a fizzling failure? Let's find out! I do want to warn that I will try to make this review as spoiler-free as possible, but there may be some minor stuff.



The first thing I had noticed was that this film took full advantage of its being rated R. Seriously. There is a ton of blood, violence, and f-bombs in the movie. I did feel the language was a bit excessive at times.

I did enjoy the cast. David Harbour of Stranger Things fame takes up the Right Hand of Doom, and his Hellboy is a bit more emotional and rougher-edged take, like he was a younger version of the character. He displayed some nice moments of humor in his performance, and there is a scene with him and Ian McShane's Trevor Bruttenholm that made me tear up a little. Daniel Dae Kim was also really good as Ben Daimio. His and Hellboy's interactions were fun. I also thought Sasha Lane's Alice Monaghan was great, too. I liked her evolution into a butt-kicker in her own right.

One of the flaws I felt the film had was the villain, Nimue. I felt she did come off as a bit wooden. Like they didn't let her emote. I also felt that her trying to tempt Hellboy to the dark side was kind of thin as we did not get a lot of Hellboy interacting with regular people to show that he was as 'hated and feared' as she claimed. I also was not completely into Ian McShane's performance as Trevor Bruttenholm. His Bruttenholm was a bit harsher and meaner than the portrayal by the late John Hurt in the GDT Hellboy films, and I think it would not have hurt for him to show some sympathy and kindness towards his son on occasion.

I have seen a lot of reviews saying this film was terrible. I do agree on one thing: This film is not as good as the Guillermo Del Toro films. I think that the film did not quite have the heart those did, mainly thanks to Del Toro's fondness for making monsters more human. However, I don't think the film was completely terrible. There were some cool visuals, and if you like bloody fights, this film would be right up your alley. This Hellboy is more of a straight-up action film than a character piece. And hey, the GDT films still exist, so they can still be enjoyed. Heck, if you have Netflix, the first one is there.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some additional support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar! It would be greatly appreciated! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment