Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate New Content Announcement, My Thoughts

On December 7, 2018, Nintendo released the newest game in their popular Smash Bros. fighting game franchise was released. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The game's big thing was that every single playable character in the Smash Bros. series would be in this game, from Wolf of the Star Fox series to Solid Snake from the Metal Gear series to Ryu from the Street Fighter series. Over 70 fighters would be in the game. A 71st character came along in the form of the Piranha Plant...and five more characters are coming as DLC, one already revealed.

The game was given practically universal acclaim, and is the fastest-selling game for the Switch. It sold nearly 13 million copies in a month. I got a copy for Christmas. It is so much fun.

As the trend is with games these days, there will be DLC and updates. And Nintendo has announced that SSBU is getting such a big update, to version 3.0. It comes with new features! Let's take a look!



Say hello to Joker from Persona 5! He's the game's newest fighter, and is one of 5 special DLC characters coming to the game! I can't wait to see who comes next! Since Microsoft and Nintendo have been getting chummy lately, maybe Banjo-Kazooie will appear next? I loved their N64 adventures.

Joker subscribes to the "just shoot 'em" idea. No need for fancy powers, just bullets. And having a big knife also helps. Makes sense, guns and knives are his weapon of choice in the game.

It appears one of his combat outfits is his civilian school uniform. Makes sense, considering how deep into games' lore the Smash Bros. series likes to get into.

Hey, Joker has his own power meter like Little Mac does!

I love that the other characters from the game are doing commentary. Nice little touch.

Of course with a new fighter comes a new stage. I love that it changes based on the background music.

Joker's Final Smash is kind of like Shulk's. Just call in his friends and they all hand out a beating.

Cool guys don't look at sparkle explosions...

That's the attention to detail right there. Joker has his own unique win screen. Another nice touch? Look at the opponents Joker has beaten. Link in his "Dark Link" costume, and Dark Samus. Shadows of the heroes. It also makes sense. They're the dark mirrors of Nintendo heroes, and Joker's whole thing is changing the malevolent nature of people's hearts using his Persona powers.

Joker just making off with everyone's stuff! Mario better hide Cappy. Link, hide your weapons, too.

...I really oughta get that Fighters Pass.

Joker looks very graceful. I might enjoy playing as him.

"He wields a gun." I don't know why, but the delivery of that made me laugh.

The grappling hook looks neat.

Considering all the damage that Joker can do, I can bet that to balance it out, he's a bit lacking in the ability to take a hit.

Rebel's Guard and the Rebellion meter makes me think of Cloud and his Limit Break meter. Even can be charged the same way.

So, I think the whole point is to get Joker to the point where he can unleash Arsene, and that's when you go all out. Arsene is one dapper Persona. Which is appropriate for a Persona named after a legendary gentleman thief.

In the Persona series, there's a place called the Metaverse. It basically contains the physical manifestations of people's subconscious desires. So basically, someone subconsciously desired this series for Joker.

Heh, looks like the other Phantom Thieves want to take a closer look at the action.

As I said, I like that the Mementos stage's colors change based on the background music. The game will use music from three games in the series, and each color represents a game. Red for Persona 5, yellow for Persona 4, and blue for Persona 3.

I can't wait to find out who the other four DLC fighters are. The possibilities are endless!

Considering that a character from the Persona series is playable in the game, makes sense there'd be Mii costumes paying homage to the series, too. The Tails and Knuckles costumes are neat, too. And at only 75 cents each? That's a bargain!

A stage builder?! We're getting a stage builder?! THAT IS SO COOL! I love stage builders! I'm going to mess with that thing so much...it does look like it'll be better than previous ones...

There will also be a video editor, too? Hey, that's neat! Any gamers that are also budding filmmakers will love this feature, I bet.

Looks like I'll have to get the Switch Online service if I want to upload my custom stages. I get why, but that is a real shame.

Don't really care much about Smash World.

This new update is awesome! I love the new features, and Joker sounds like a fun new character to play as. He comes off as a bit overpowered to me, but maybe I'll have to actually play as the guy to be sure. He might end up being a personal favorite. I am very excited for the stage builder and the video editor modes. I can't wait to mess with those. I'll have to remember to grab the Fighters Pass. I also love the new stage. It's so funky. This new update is spectacular.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you enjoyed it, spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some additional support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar! It would be greatly appreciated! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment