Tuesday, September 12, 2017

300th Post!

This snuck up on me faster than I thought, but it has finally arrived. It's a time for celebration! My 300th post on this blog!



I never imagined that this would happen. 300 blog posts. That is a milestone. As such, I thought I'd like to show off some of my personal favorite blog entries and a couple milestones:

Justice League #221 (December 1983) Review - This is my most-viewed comic review. It's the only blog entry to have broken 7,000 views...and counting. People seem to really enjoy this one, and honestly, I enjoyed writing it. I don't know what about this one made it so popular. Maybe people really like catgirls, ha ha. But in all seriousness, I am glad people liked this review, and I hope people continue checking out my other comic reviews.

Pokémon Zeta/Omicron - My 100th blog entry. This was giving my thoughts on a pair of Pokémon fangames that I enjoyed. The creator also went on to create another Pokémon fan game I really enjoy: Insurgence. I highly recommend checking it out, too. And speaking of Zeta/Omicron, I have heard that there is being another game in development that is essentially the Emerald to their Ruby/Sapphire: Epsilon. Can't wait to give that a play when they got a demo out.

Squadron Supreme #1 (September 1985) Review - In January, I wanted to call attention to a classic miniseries that I felt was rather ignored and forgotten. This mini is considered the late Mark Gruenwald's magnum opus, deconstructing the superhero before Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons made it cool with Watchmen. And if you want to read my reviews on the other issues to this point, here they are: Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight. I also looked at a tie-in: Captain America #314 (February 1986). Enjoy!

When writing it, I had a funny idea. There's 12 issues, and twelve months in the year, why not spend once a month looking at each issue of it? I have stuck to that so far, and I hope it's managed to get this mini a bit more exposure. It's a great miniseries, and I do consider it a bit of a must-read. I had so much fun doing this that next year, I may do it again next year with 12-issue mini-series. In fact, I know the perfect one to do it with...

My additions to the SNES Classic - This one was fun to write as it let me get speculative. The SNES Classic's library is basically mostly all killer, no filler. So I wanted to add games that were considered good (as well as a couple hidden gems), and diversify the kinds of games that were available. The SNES could use a shooter. After all, the NES Classic got Galaga. That thought was what inspired that blog entry.

New Warriors #1 (April 2014) Review - This was the very first comic review I ever wrote, and it was especially fun because it was a comic I really enjoyed. This New Warriors series (the group's fifth), was really good, and it's a shame it only lasted 12 issues. I loved this roster, and I hope it returns one day.

My 10 Favorite Gen 1 Pokémon - I am a bit of a fan of the Pokémon franchise. Yeah. Mainly the games. I have talked about the games quite a bit on this blog. I bought Red and Blue as a kid, and it was a series that got me into JRPGs. I enjoyed writing this blog entry, which gave my thoughts on my favorite Pokémon from the original Red, Blue, and Yellow. Not much of an entry, but I enjoy it, and I'm proud of it. Maybe I'll do such lists for other gens in the future.

Guardians of the Galaxy Review - My first movie review. Even better that it turned out to be a great movie. The Guardians movies are some of my absolute favorite MCU films, and I had such a great time writing this review. It was just as much fun writing this blog as I did watching the movie in the theater.

A better way to handle the Mutant/Inhuman conflict - My 150th blog entry. I have to admit, I was in a bit frustrated when I wrote this one. You see, I really disliked the idea of Inhumans vs. X-Men. I felt it was a half-baked attempt to have the X-Men enter into yet another pointless brawl with another group of superheroes...although I doubt you really can count the Inhuman Royal Family as a standard superhero team. Also, it was an opportunity for me to kind of discuss some issues I had with the X-Men franchise in recent years. I still have some issues with the franchise, but that's for another time.

Action Comics #674 (February 1992) Review - My 200th blog entry. This was done during what I consider an actually great time in Superman's comics, the late 80s-mid 90s. It's an era that I think is quite underrated, as I don't see a lot of comic nerds talking about this era very much, if at all. I was first exposed to this era of Superman thanks to the Return of Superman trade, and it became a favorite of mine to read. It's an era of Superman's comics I think deserves more love. And as I said in this review, it appeared to be a big influence on the creative team of the 90s Superman cartoon.

Justice League #1 (May 1987) Review - I loved writing this review, as it was the birth of one of my favorite incarnations of the Justice League, the JLI/Justice League International. This comic laid the seeds for some of the trademarks of that era, particularly the more humorous tone. It's a fun era, and I highly recommend it.

Doom Guy's Mind - I wanted to give this video a shoutout because I thought it was hilarious and deserved more views. It was made with gameplay footage that I think also used the Brutal Doom mod. I loved Doom as a kid, and it was one of the few games I played on the computer. It's a funny video. If you played and loved Doom, you'll love this video.

Let's Play Pokémon Insurgence - I did attempt a Let's Play of a Pokémon fan game that I pretty much...well...abandoned after two videos. Now that I think the game is finally completed, I think that it may be time to pick this back up. I think the grinding is a bit less of a slog now, which makes things more tolerable.

Deadpool and the "R" Rating - This was one of the first blog entries that I had written that was an attempt to talk about something besides giving my thoughts on various media things like trailers and comics. I had concerns about Deadpool getting an "R" rating at the time. The problem for me was not that Deadpool got that rating. The rating fits for that character. My worry was that with Deadpool being the success that it was, other people behind superhero films would get the wrong idea and go for "R" ratings on films based on other characters, even ones that would not fit them. This blog entry was my attempt to voice my concerns. I think I could have done it a lot better now.

And that's some of my favorite moments from the blog's history. I want to say thank you to everyone who has been reading and enjoying this blog. I hope you all continue to enjoy what I put in it in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on 300 posts! I'm glad there are still some of us around doing this. Best of luck going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I hope to write many more blog entries. I'm working on a Flash comic review for this week, so get ready for that.

      I've read some of your Text Play stuff. Really enjoyable stuff.

      Delete