Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Sonic the Hedgehog Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1991, Sega released a video game called Sonic the Hedgehog, a title for their console known as the Sega Genesis in America, and as the Mega Drive in other regions. The title character was created as Sega wanted a mascot that was able to compete with Nintendo's own Super Mario. The game was a critical and financial success. It would be rereleased and ported to various consoles, and even mobile phones! This one game created quite a franchise.

The franchise would also touch other media, like cartoons, and comics. Sonic had an ongoing comic series from Archie from 1992 to 2016, the longest-running licensed comic series of all time. And now, Sonic is getting a live-action movie. Let's take a look.


To be honest, I never really thought much about this whole movie thing. I heard that there was a movie based on Sonic in the works some time ago, but I never thought much about it, so seeing this trailer was a surprise.

Blue blur on the road. There's something you don't see every day.

I think your radar gun's broken, pal.

You'd think a trained police officer would at the very least put on gloves before touching strange sparking blue quills.

Heh. Sonic rings in the pace of the stars in the Paramount logo. Neat.

The pile of shoes does make sense. Considering how fast Sonic goes, he must wear through shoes at a ridiculous rate.

Coolio's "Gangstas Paradise" is an odd choice for a song. I'd have gone with Riot's "Road Racin'", off their 1979 album Narita myself. Seems a better fit for Sonic.

It may be the 90s kid in me, but it's weird hearing Sonic talk and it's not Jaleel White voicing him. Nothing against Ben Schwartz, though. I like him in the new DuckTales. I do like the lightning running up and down his body. Gives the impression that Sonic is like this dynamo, this ball of energy.

I imagine sonic booms are Sonic at first gear.

SONIC, WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Oh, I think Jim Carrey is going to be a delight as Dr. Robotnik. Say what you will, but I think he'll be one of the best parts of this movie.

Fun fact, Sega had a division based in San Francisco.

Heh heh heh, meow.

Eh, Sonic could have looked worse. He's an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog.

Okay, the spin dash was awesome.

Yeah, Jim Carrey's going to be one of the highlights of this movie.

Every hero has a Genesis. In Europe, Japan, and South America, every hero would have a Mega Drive.

Okay, that missile bit was pretty cool, too. Did catch a bit of that devil-may-care attitude Sonic is known for.

Yeah, that cop is going to jail.

Dude, spoiling Robotnik losing his hair. Come on!

I've seen this trailer get a LOT of negative attention. Personally...I don't think it's that bad. The choice of song in the trailer is odd, and Sonic could use a bit of polish, but otherwise...it's not that bad. Not that bad at all. As I said, I think Jim Carrey is going to be a highlight of this film. It's not a film that I personally am all that excited to see, but if I get a chance to see it, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you enjoyed it, please spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some additional support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar! It would be greatly appreciated! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment