Saturday, February 17, 2018

Text Play: Pokemon Mega Adventure #1

I am a Pokémon fan. I have been one since Red and Blue first came out twenty years ago. In recent years, I discovered Pokémon fan games thanks to Linkara's Let's Play of the Pokémon fan game Pokémon Omicron.

One of the games I've been playing is Pokémon Mega Adventure. As such, I thought it would be neat to document my journey through the region in the game, which can be downloaded here. I was inspired by J. Michael Shearer's Text Play blog entries. I highly recommend them, especially if you are a fan of Final Fantasy. So, with all that out of the way, let's begin the journey through Pokémon Mega Adventure!


I admit, I'm not going to start completely from the beginning, as I had been playing for about three hours of the game or so, and I'm getting ready for the first gym. The game started in the classic Pokémon way, with Professor Oak introducing himself, and you getting your first Pokémon. The choices were the original Kanto three: Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle.  I chose Bulbasaur, because I did so in Red back in the day. I named him Biollantus. I really want to watch that movie.

There is one thing I want to point out. On the way from the starting town (Okimira Town) to Kagawa City, this was how many Pokémon I managed to encounter and catch.



And here's my current party.


Yeah. That's a lot of Pokémon. And thanks to the Mystery Gift, I got all three Alola starters, too. Catching a Bidoof and Buneary was a bit of a pain. The first time I encountered a Bidoof, I got a critical hit when I really did not want one. You see, the journey from the starting town to Kagawa City is...an adventure in of itself. I passed through two routes, and the Corrda Forest. And in the Corrda Forest, there was a little tree, where if you played Gold and Silver...


The apricorns take me back. In Gold and Silver, certain trees provided an apricorn every day, and one could take it to a person who could make it into a special Pokéball for you. Different colors made different balls, and I guess that feature is coming back in this game. That's neat. Evidently, according to the man there, a "Mr. Kurt" on Route 3 can make them into Pokéballs. Well, it's nice to see that back.

There's an area full of lakes on the way, but fishing there so far has revealed no Pokemon. Maybe I just need a better rod. There are Surskit floating on the lakes, though. They have to be artificial lakes, because they are rectangular. Perfectly rectangular.

One cool thing about this game is that a player can see Pokemon actually running around on the grassy areas in places. Like, literally see them running around. It's really cool, and it also helps give a preview of what you could catch there. I love it.

As for my plans for the game, well...take on the Kagawa Gym. I already beat the other Trainers, and now just the leader himself. He appears to specialize in Rock-types. I have a Popplio and Rowlet, they could be a big help to my Bulbasaur and Azurill...

No comments:

Post a Comment