Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1998 (in Japan, 1999 in North America, 2000 in Europe), Game Freak released a game called Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition, or Pokémon Yellow for short. This game was an enhanced version of the original Red and Blue versions of Pokémon, with the game's story also taking elements from the Pokémon anime at the time, including the player character starting with Pikachu like Ash did, and battling Jessie and James, two recurring menaces from the series.

Pokémon Yellow would be the final game released for the original Game Boy outside of Japan. It would be a massive hit, selling 14 million copies worldwide. It was also highly praised for its enhancements, but it was also criticized for coming off as a cash grab, considering the sequel games Gold and Silver were on their way. The game would end up re-released on the 3DS Virtual Console service in 2016.

2018 marks the 20th Anniversary of the game's release in Japan. And to celebrate the occasion, Nintendo and Game Freak have announced that an enhanced remake is on the way for the Switch: Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu! and Let's Go Eevee! Let's look at the trailer!


Heh. Pokémon Go. My brother-in-law has that game on his phone. I wanted to play it, but I have no phone.

Follow the Pikachu! Move your butt! I would not be surprised if in the future, Game Freak somehow develops holographic technology that allows you to catch Pokémon in real locations.

I know the game footage is not final, but it looks very good so far. Can't wait to see it completely finished.

Makes sense Eevee would be the counterpart. I think you could start with one in the original Yellow, and it's pretty popular. Versatile too, thanks to it having multiple evolutionary forms.

Playing with one Joy-Con will be rather convenient, but I can imagine the throwing motion would eventually tire the arms out.

It also looks like you could use timing to increase your chances of successfully catching a Pokémon. That is a clever idea. I read somewhere once that if you press a certain button at the right time, you can do this, and it's been a habit ever since.

I think it's really neat you can see the Pokémon wandering around the overworld. For a collector like me, it's a great way to see what I'm in for. And I also love the idea of co-op play with a friend. Have some fun leveling up Pokémon together. Would help make it less tedious.

Okay, so if you and a friend catch the Pokémon together...who gets it? Do they both get the Pokémon? Do you do a mini-game to determine who gets it?

Ah, that battle is bringing back memories of Pokémon Stadium. I would love to see a Pokémon Stadium 3 in some form.

So this game gets a peripheral: A Poké Ball. And you can transfer your Pikachu into it and take it for walks? Reminds me of the Pokéwalkers that came with HeartGold and SoulSilver. I used those all the time. I'm hoping Pikachu gets benefits from regular use, like stat improvements or something. It would also be great if this feature also worked with other Pokémon. Think about it. You have a low-level Pokémon, and you want to level it up a bit simple and quick? Take it for a walk!

Compatibility with Pokémon Go is a pretty cool idea. I wonder if you can use Pokémon you catch in that app in the game? Provided you have enough badges to control them, of course.

What is a Pokéball Plus?

Well, this game sounds like a ton of fun! I can imagine to kids playing Pokémon Yellow twenty years ago, this was what it looked like in their heads. Wonderful to see it for real. I do get the feeling that I'm not going to get as much mileage out of the Pokéball peripheral that I did out of the Pokéwalkers. But the game itself looks like a real blast. I can't wait to play this!

No comments:

Post a Comment