Monday, September 24, 2018

Sega Ages Sonic/Lightning Force Launch Trailer, My Thoughts

Sega Ages. This was the term Sega had used for their compilations of classic games on modern platforms. These ports would often be developed by Japanese game developer M2, they were an unusual take on the retro game compilation. Whereas most retro game compilations would be basically a bunch of games all bunched together for one price, Sega Ages' idea of it was to release one old game at a time, and sell it at a very low price.

For example, A company could release a bundle of old Atari or Activision games for about, say ten dollars. Sega Ages, though? They release a couple of games at a time over a period of time, like say they start with Comix Zone or Space Harrier, then release a couple more over the next few months or so. In the meantime, you could buy those two games for only about oh, maybe 50 cents each.

Well, Sega Ages is coming to the Nintendo Switch. And their first two games are out. One is one that needs no real introduction: 1991's Sonic the Hedgehog. It's classic, the birth of one of Sega's most beloved franchises, despite it's roughness in recent years. It was the game that established Sega as legit competition to Nintendo. It's considered one of the greatest games of all time.

The other is 1993's Thunder Force IV, known here in the US as Lightning Force: Quest for the Darkstar. A horizontal space-shooter, it told the tale of a fighter pilot who is humanity's last hope against the Ohn Empire. The Empire wants nothing more than the destruction of the human race. The game was highly praised for its graphics, music, and gameplay. It was criticized for a lack of originality.

Thanks to Sega Ages, these games will be playable on the Nintendo Switch! Let's take a look at the launch trailer!


Is that Sega Ages intro a nod to the intro of Genesis games?

I have to admit, this the first time I've ever really heard of Lightning Force. It does look neat. I have gotten into space shooters recently, and it looks like a fine one.

That enemy ship looks like a shark from Hell.

Is that spaceship shooting energy shuriken? That is awesome!

I have to admit, seeing the footage of Sonic put a smile on my face. This was one of the games of my childhood. I grew up in the 16-Bit era. Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World/All-Stars were my gaming jams.

I love the Marble Zone theme. I wish that was one of the levels in Sonic Mania.

I have to admit, I am more interested in getting Lightning Force, as it's a game I never played before, and as I said earlier, I've gotten into space shooters recently. It looks really cool, and it is supposed to be a great game, so there ya go. But don't get me wrong about Sonic. I still would like to play Sonic on the go, and to be honest, I never liked the idea of playing Sonic on a phone.

Seriously, I once saw a phone in an Apple Store that had Sonic 2 on it. I thought, "Neat, I like Sonic 2, I'll give it a play." I couldn't control it too well, because of the touch controls. I need actual buttons. So putting Sonic on the Switch is a great idea. It has actual buttons. I like actual buttons. I play old platformers better when I have actual buttons. Feels more responsive and precise.

But enough of my weird ranting, it's great these old games are coming to the Switch. Many old games are still fantastic, and it's a great way to get a new generation into retrogaming, and for old gamers like me who never played those games when they first came out to give them a try. I can't wait to see what comes next from Sega Ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment