Monday, November 12, 2018

RIP Stan Lee

Today, I learned some shocking news. Today was a day that I think we all knew would come, but would never expect to come so soon. Stan "The Man" Lee, co-creator of some of the Marvel Universe's most iconic and beloved characters, had passed away at the age of 95.


A writer, editor, former editor-in-chief, and publisher, Lee was one of the big creative minds behind the Marvel Universe as we know it today. Alongside legendary artists Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko and writer (and younger brother) Larry Lieber, he co-created many characters like Spider-Man, the Hulk, the X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Black Panther. He and Jack Kirby also brought together some of their creations to form the Avengers.

Lee is one of the reasons why I'm such a big fan of comics. Spider-Man is one of my favorite solo superheroes. The Avengers are one of my favorite superhero teams. Kurt Busiek and George Perez may have gotten me to fall in love with comics and the characters' histories, but without Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, that run of Avengers would have never existed. Without Lee and Ditko's genius, Spider-Man would have ever come to be.

My first major exposure to the Marvel Universe was actually in cartoons. I remember watching the 90s Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons, and like many of my age during that time, I loved them. I loved the action and social commentary of the X-Men cartoon, and the humor and jokes of Spider-Man. I still smile fondly when thinking of them. And Stan Lee helped make all that possible.

I admit, this was a bit hard to write. I have been having trouble coming up with the words to express my feelings about this, so my apologies if it comes off as awkward.

So, thank you, Mr. Lee. I wish I could have gotten to meet you in person and thank you for everything. I'm hoping you're back together with Joan. And I also hope you, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, Marie Severin, Flo Steinberg, and the rest of the original Merry Marvel Bullpen are back together again creating new wonders.

Thank you and goodbye, Stan! Excelsior!

No comments:

Post a Comment