Sunday, November 11, 2018

Veterans' Day

Today is November 11. On this day in the United States, we celebrate Veterans Day.


What is Veterans Day? Well, it's a day that celebrates those who have served in the branches of the United States military. It's different from Memorial Day, which honors those who died in service. It also is different from Armed Forces Day. That is also celebrated in May, and that day honors those who are currently serving.

So, how did it come about? Well, on this day in 1918, an armistice was signed between the Allies and the Central Powers of Germany, which is credited for ending World War I. In later years, this day would be celebrated as Armistice Day. It would be made an official holiday in 1938.

In 1945, a man named Raymond Weeks, a veteran of World War II, had the idea that Armistice Day should be expanded to celebrate veterans of WWII as well. He had support for General, and future President, Dwight D. Eisenhower. In 1947, he held the first celebration in Alabama. He continued to do so until his death in 1985.

In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower would sign into law a bill that would formally establish Veterans Day. For a brief time in the 1970s, Veterans Day was moved to the fourth Monday of October. It would get moved back to November 11 in 1978.

Veterans Day this year is very significant. You see, this year also celebrates the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.

Veterans Day is a bit of an important day for me, personally. Both my father and my late paternal grandfather and grand-uncle have served this country. My grandfather was a Marine who served in Guam during WWII, and my great-uncle died on a submarine during that war. My dad served in the Air Force. So yeah, the military is a big deal for me.

I'm not very good at this kind of thing, so I just want to say...thank you. Thank you to everyone who has ever served this country. No matter which branch you served, no matter when you served, no matter what role you played, your service was appreciated. Thank you. Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment