Thursday, November 15, 2018

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu Trailer, My Thoughts

Earlier in the year, The Pokémon Company published a game developed by Creatures Inc. called Detective Pikachu for the 3DS in the US and Europe (It had been released in Japan in 2016). The game was an adventure game, focusing on a boy named Tim Goodman teaming up with a Pikachu with a knack for solving mysteries to...well, solve mysteries. I gave my thoughts on the trailer for the game here.

In 2016, Legendary Pictures announced they obtained the rights to make a live-action adaptation of the game. The film, which is a joint venture of Legendary and The Pokémon Company, will be distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Rob Letterman, who co-wrote the film with Nicole Perlman, will be directing. A trailer has come out, so let's take a look!



Welcome to Ryme City. Yeah, that sounds kind of like a city in a Pokémon game.

I can't believe they got Ken Watanabe for this movie. Maybe he's a Pokémon fan.

Johto and Sinnoh. Heh. Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, and Sapphire.

I'm guessing Tim Goodman's attempt to be a Pokémon trainer ended in disaster.

Yeah, because a stapler is going to stop a home invader.

In case you're wondering, the hat that Detective Pikachu is wearing? It's called a deerstalker. It's a type of cap.



It's a hat associated with Sherlock Holmes. It's become a symbol of detectives. I also have to admit, the CGI Pikachu looks incredible. Although Ryan Reynolds' voice, I have to admit, takes some getting used to. He sounds like he's still doing Deadpool to me, in a way.

Ha ha ha ha. That scene with Tim and Pikachu was hilarious. I wonder if they'll try to explain why only Tim can understand Pikachu.

Wow. Those Bulbasaurs and Morelulls look amazing. They look like they came right out of the games. And yeah, there was a bit of a tizzy over Jigglypuff's appearance here. It does make sense. In various games, Pokédex entries on the Pokémon did mention it having fur. And its curl on its head could be seen as hair. Also, I like the marker mic. Cute nod to the anime.

Wow, Charizard and Greninja look amazing, too. You can tell The Pokémon Company had some big influence over the designs here.

That Pikachu/Mr. Mime scene made me laugh so much. That was great!

Oh, please don't eat the Pikachu, Charizard.

Wow. I have to admit, I always thought Pokémon was one of those franchises that would be darn-near impossible to pull off in live-action. However, if this trailer is any indication, I think they may have managed to pull it off. The Pokémon look incredible, and this film sounds like it'll be a ton of fun and genuinely funny. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment