Sunday, July 1, 2018

Nintendo Direct Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, My Thoughts

In 1999, Nintendo published a little game by HAL Laboratories, the makers of the Kirby franchise. It was a little four-player fighting game for the Nintendo 64. The game? Super Smash Bros. The mega-crossover fighting game would be a hit, selling nearly 2 million copies in Japan, and three million in the United States. It would kickstart one of Nintendo's most popular franchises. Every Nintendo console would get s Smash game from there on.

The franchise has undergone quite the evolution. As I have said in the past, the Smash Bros. series has gone from a fighting game starring Nintendo characters to what could be considered a gigantic tribute to video games as a whole, with such characters as Ryu from the Street Fighter series, Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII, Solid Snake from Metal Gear, and even Pac-Man.

And with the Switch out in the wild, it makes sense there would be a Smash game for it. After all, Nintendo likes making money. Here's the Nintendo Direct announcement for it! It's about a half-hour long, so keep that in mind before you play it.



Oh hi, Mr. Sakurai! I hope you don't end up nearly killing yourself making this game. I think he did say once the last Smash game would be his final one, but I think deep down, he's fond of making them.

Ooh, we're getting the roster!

Link rocking the Breath of the Wild look. Makes sense, considering that was the latest Zelda.

Hey, Ice Climbers are back!

The Inkling from Splatoon is a nice addition, considering that it's become pretty popular in its own right.

Pokémon Trainer is back!

HOLY COW, SNAKE IS BACK!

Three incarnations of Link in this game. A little something for everyone. Nice.

Wow. Every character who has fought in a Smash game is here. It's a big time Smash reunion! That is awesome! Think of the dream matches! Pac-Man vs. Ice Climbers! Snake vs. Ryu! The possibilities, man! I'm hoping Konami will let them put Simon Belmont in the game.

I like the idea of unlocking the roster. Gives you reason to keep on playing the game.

Mario getting Cappy and the Wedding outfit from Super Mario Odyssey, and the Builder outfit from Super Mario Maker. I wonder will we'll get the Mario Maker stage from the last game.

Link has remote bombs. Snake must be ticked. And I like the Tunic of the Wild costume. Pays homage to the first Zelda game.

Hoo boy, gotta be extra careful with the Ice Climbers.

Are they using two different voice actors for Ike? And it's great to see the Fire Emblem characters voiced in English.

Lucha Pikachu is female, huh? The Women's Evolution is hitting video games, too.

Fox's look makes sense, too. Star Fox Zero was the last Star Fox game.

I'll miss the Landmaster, but I like that Falco's Final Smash is a bit wilder than Fox's version. It shows some personality. Fox is the cool leader, Falco is the firecracker.

Mid-air charging will be convenient for Samus, as long as you're careful.

King Dedede is a wrestling fan.

Zelda's Link Between Worlds look is so pretty... Her new Final Smash is cool, too.

Does Sonic keep Red Bull in the Chaos Emeralds?

And evidently Pac-Man got into Sonic's Red Bull stash.

Oh, Pokémon Trainer is going to be so unpredictable now... and I do like the option of playing as a female Trainer. That's nice.

I love Big Blue! The theme is so awesome!

That's convenient with Cloud's limit gauge.

I like these little mechanical touches they put in. Really shows the passion of the game makers here. As I said, these people clearly are passionate about games as a whole.

Wolf looks awesome, and he's going to be meaner than ever.

Shulk players will like being able to pick Monado Arts in that manner.

Miis are back! Yay!

Pit's new Final Smash is awesome.

Zero Suit Samus. Bringing Death From Above.

Rodin's apperarance is very well done, as he is an arms dealer in the Bayonetta series.

Makes sense Jeff is an assist trophy. He's the only member of the Earthbound gang who can't use PSI powers.

I hate the Yellow Devil. Hi, Proto Man and Bass.

I think ROB's fuel gauge may be hard to see in some cases.

Welcome to Smash, Daisy!

I imagine the strategy with Inkling is "ink them up, then beat them up".

Yeah, Waluigi was revealed to be an Assist Trophy, and for some odd reason, a TON of people got really mad about it. I have no idea why.

I'm not to sure about the whole 'knock out the Assist Trophy' thing. Sounds like a way to get a free point without any real challenge. Hope they toughened up the Trophies.

BOMBERMAN?! They got BOMBERMAN as an Assist Trophy? I mean, yeah, Konami bought Hudson so they own Bomberman, but that is a surprise!

Don't mess with Bewear.

The stages look incredible. I'd love for the Mushroom Kingdom stage from Melee to come back, and for a stage based on the Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2.

...I really gotta get Breath of the Wild.

Can't spam dodging anymore, ha ha.

Hey, I got a GameCube! I love that I can play this game with the controller! I loved doing it that way with Brawl on the Wii.

One more announcement, eh? I wonder what you got up your sleeve for us, Sakurai...

Samus, Mario, and Mega Man playing Alien. Gives whole new meaning to the phrase "Game over, man! Game over!"

...I think Dr. Light better get started with his work on Mega Man X...

...I think we just saw Mario die. In a non-Mario way. I don't think a 1-UP Mushroom will fix that.

RIDLEY IS HERE. Welcome to Smash, Ridley! Samus is going to have some words with you...

You know, this take on Ridley makes me think that his secret origin is basically a Xenomorph burst out of a dragon. That's what he looks like to me.

...Ridley, Samus already has a major hate-on for you. You just made it so much worse. In Metroid canon, Ridley killed Samus's parents.

YUP. She's going to kick his brains out. Literally.

Well, this announcement was exciting. I am very hyped for this new Smash game. I am hoping that Sakurai still has some secrets up his sleeve, like maybe some more new fighters? New stages? I can't wait to play this!

No comments:

Post a Comment