Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Pocket Rumble Launch Trailer, My Thoughts

Fighting games have been a popular genre since the 1990s, but the first one was Sega's Heavyweight Champ in 1976. These games have gone through many a change and evolution in their over 40 years of existence, and even spawned some iconic series, like Capcom's Street Fighter, NetherRealm Studios' Mortal Kombat, and SNK's King of Fighters.

With that, let's take a look at the launch trailer for a new game for the Switch that promises a run little rumble for players. A little rumble, indeed. A...pocket rumble.



This game makes me think of what a fighting game port may look like for the Game Boy Color.

A character named Tenchi. As someone who spent his teenage years watching Toonami, I can't help but think of Tenchi Muyo.

That girl just summoned a tentacle monster. I can imagine she has some...unusual tastes.

Did Naomi just pay homage to Hulk wrecking Loki in the first Avengers movie?

So, Tenchi has fire antlers. Is he related to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer?

AGENT SMITH WILL SLAP YOU SILLY. HE'S GONE SLAP-HAPPY!

KA-ME-HA-ME-HAAAAAAAA!

June is creepy.

Sub 11 is packing a Green Lantern ring. Somebody call the Green Lantern Corps! I found that ring they were missing!

Ah, simple controls, eh? Reminds me of Super Smash Bros. with its goal of making fighting games more accessible to people. I like that. Games like Street Fighter with their button combinations can be intimidating to new players. I also like that you can use either the Joy-Cons or a controller. Find the play style that makes you comfortable.

Hey Quinn, Lady Deathstrike called. She wants her claws back.

Training mode is always handy. More games should have that.

ZOMBIE!

Despite all my snarking, I think the characters and attacks do look cool. This game does sound like a lot of fun. I love the idea of a simplified fighting game. If someone has never played one and feels a bit intimidated by stuff like King of Fighters or Killer Instinct, they should give this a shot. It's a great way to get people into fighting games. I myself have only ever really played the Smash Bros. series, so I'll give this a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment