Friday, July 6, 2018

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection Announcement

SNK. Short for Shin Nihon Kikaku, the company was founded in 1973, but was reorganized in 1978. It's from here that the company was considered truly born. So, what is SNK? Well, they're a video game company. They started making games for the arcades like 1979's Ozma Wars and developing games for various consoles.

In 1988, SNK created the Neo-Geo MVS, an arcade cabinet that could contain multiple games in one cabinet, thanks to the games being put in cartridges instead of boards. They would also venture into making gaming consoles for the home, like the Neo-Geo family, and even handhelds like the Neo Geo Pocket. When it comes to games, SNK is known for various series, like the run-and-gun Metal Slug series (I have 7 for the DS. It's fun) and the fighting series Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury.

The company is celebrating its 40th birthday this year, and as such, it's releasing a collection of its early games for the Nintendo Switch. Let's take a look at it!



I can imagine the arcade version of Ikari Warriors was better than its Atari and NES ports. Also, the Switch's twin sticks would make it much easier to play.

I love the music and graphics used in this trailer. Gives the 80s and 90s feel rather well.

Huh. Never heard of Psycho Soldier. Maybe it was a Japan-only game?

TNK III looks fun. I like shooters.

Never heard of Guerilla War, either.

Vanguard definitely appeals to me. As I said, I like shooters.

I have heard of Crystalis. It's an action-RPG, which was originally for the NES. I would love to give it a try. It's considered a cult classic.

I hope the bonus contest is behind the scenes stuff. I'd love to hear or read about what inspired these games.

I think I'll pick this up. I love old games, and if this does well, it could lead to a Volume 2. I would also love for Capcom to release a collection of some of their arcade games for the Switch. It would be awesome to play Captain Commando or Knights of the Round on the go. I never played any of these old games before myself, so I am eager to give them a try. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go play some Metal Slug 7...

No comments:

Post a Comment