Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Dragon Quest XI S Launch Trailer, My Thoughts

Dragon Quest. Since 1986, the series has had eleven games and numerous spinoffs. The first Dragon Quest game is the game that is credited for pioneering the console RPG. The series is massively popular in its native Japan, but it has gained a growing fanbase in North America in recent years. Yours truly is a big fan of the series. I own a bunch of the games.

As such, I was excited for Dragon Quest XI to come to the US (Dragon Quest X, which is an MMORPG, is still Japan-exclusive). DQXI already was out for the PS4, but I didn't have one at the time, plus the 3DS version never came to the West. I would eventually get a Nintendo Switch, and to my joy, it was coming to that, too. Well, the latest Nintendo Direct showed the launch trailer for it. Let's take a look!


You're riding along, and then you get chased by jerks on horseback. Don't you just hate that?

Yup. A lot of RPGs owe plenty to Dragon Quest.

Ooh, shiny orb...

Oh man, Gooper Blooper from Super Mario Sunshine wandered into this game. Yank off his tentacles!

Dragon riding!

That tree reminds me of Dragon Quest IX. That's the one where you play as a fallen angel. Fun, but VERY grind-heavy game.

Headless Horseman got some friends.

This is your player character as a baby.

Magic hero needs his magic sword.

Erdrea looks beautiful!

The roaming monsters remind me of Dragon Quest VIII.

Slimes being able to fuse together is nothing strange. Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball, designs characters and monsters for this game series.

Hmmm, the enhancement grid here makes me think this is an evolved version of the system in DQVIII.

Yup, getting components to make stuff. Just like DQVIII.

Horse races are new.

Oh, that feature is so neat. I wonder if you get random encounters in the 16-bit mode.

I had heard criticism for this game's music on the PS4. Sounds to me like for this port, they listened and remade it.

I don't personally understand why this game has the option to hear the original Japanese audio. It's just me. I'm sure some will like it.

I love that theme.

Always have a healslime at your back. They're helpful when they're on your side.

And it wouldn't be a Dragon Quest game without a girl in the Playboy Bunny suit.

Hey old man, knock off the perving! We got a world to save here!

Oh man, battling a bunch of giant dragons...this is going to huuuuuurt...

Ooh, side stories focusing on each of the cast? I love this! This is a fantastic opportunity for some character growth and worldbuilding. Not to mention if parties are customizable, you can figure out which ones you like to have in your party.

I have to admit, I am INSANELY excited for this game. I've been a big Dragon Quest fan for years, and seeing this fills me with so much joy. I can't wait for the fall!

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you enjoyed it, spread it around! And if you want to give my blog some extra support, please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment